Agility Ladder Drills for Improved Martial Arts Agility & Speed
In order to improve martial arts agility, many martial artists incorporate agility ladder drills into their overall training routine. Agility ladder drills help with foot speed, balance, coordination, etc. One of the best known agility ladder drills is the Ickey Shuffle.
Agility training helps martial arts students to quickly maneuver and change positions/stances. This allows martial artists to evade an attack or launch a strike at undefended area (i.e. moving laterally in order to avoid an opponent's blow and thus being able to quickly launch an effective counter attack against an off-balance opponent). Agility ladder drills should also be part of every martial artist's speed training routine as it helps martial artists to generate faster kicks and quicker reaction speed.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional agility drills (i.e. agility mirror drills), please visit the main Martial Arts Agility section.
Amazon - Books on Agility Training
Examples of Agility Ladder Drills - with videos and/or instructions
- Ali Shuffle - This agility ladder drill is named after Muhammad Ali, the famous boxer.
- High Knees
- Ickey Shuffle - An advanced & well-known agility ladder drill.
- Lateral Hop In & Out
- Single Leg Diagonal Hop - Moving forward in and out of the ladder on one leg.
- Single Leg Forward Hop
- Two Foot Lateral Hop
- Two Foot Lateral Run
- Two Foot Straight Run
- Other Agility Ladder Drills - This section lists many more agility ladder drills.
Instructional Videos for Agility Ladder Drills
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Parties - Martial Arts-Themed Party Items
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews