Instructions for Aikido Jo Kata 13
Join this free martial arts wiki & community. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness & sports experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc. Meet your fellow martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 18 Dec 2015 15:42
Instructions for Aikido Jo Kata 13
This section provides details for the Aikido weapons kata known as Jo Kata 13 (or 13 Jo Kata). This kata uses the Jo, a Japanese/Okinawan staff weapon. Aikido students should also learn basic Aikido Jo Suburi in order to prepare for Aikido kata. This kata uses 13 "movements" as detailed below.
For other Jo kata, please visit the main Aikido Jo Katas section. If you are looking for information on non-weapon (unarmed) Aikido katas, visit the main Aikido Katas section.
Written Kata Instructions - Jū-san no jō kata - 十三 の 杖 型
START in hidari-hanmi kamae (hidari jō no kamae) - 左半身構え ・ 左杖の構え Hold the jo vertically with your left hand, so that it touches the ground just in front of your left foot
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – in left stance; no step.
- Jōdan gaeshi 段返し(High counter) – raise jo up to the right to protect your head; no step – and Shōmen uchikomi 正面打ち込み (Stepping strike to the front of the head) – change hands and step forward into right stance.
- Jōdan gaeshi 上段返し (HIgh counter) – raise jo up to the left to protect your head; at the same time draw left foot back then right foot.
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – step right foot forward into right stance
- Hassō gaeshi 八相返し(Figure of eight counter) – turn 180° to face the back of the room; push jo down with left hand, let it come up and end up in Hasso no Kamae in left stance
- Shōmen Uchikomi 正面打ち込み (Stepping strike to the front of the head) – step forward into right stance (still facing the back of the room)
- Chūdan gaeshi 中段返し (Mid-level counter) – turn 180° to left, back to face front of room again. Tenkan (left foot moves back around 180°) into another right stance.
- Choku tsuki 直突き (Direct Thrust) – right stance
- Gedan gaeshi 下段 返し(Low counter) – Thrust back and down the ground on your left side, in right stance
- Chūdan gaeshi 中段返し (Mid-level Counter) – step forward into left stance
- Jōdan tsuki 上段突き (High Thrust) – left stance, no step
- Tsuki kamae 突き 構え– slide both feet back, still in left stance Slightly rotate the front tip of the jo clockwise to parry an incoming thrust.
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – still in left stance
END in hidari-hanmi kamae 左半身構え
- Instructions were kindly provided by Kai of Budō Inochi (blog), http://www.budo-inochi.com/, Added - 12/18/15. For even more detailed instructions of this kata, please visit their website.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Please visit the wiki community to see the most recent members posts. However, we have listed below some of the top-rated posts added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated martial arts questions & answers. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Wiki Store - Books | DVDs | Shoes | Sparring Gear | Uniforms