List of Key Aikido Terminology, Words & Commands
Join this free martial arts wiki & community. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness & sports experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc. Meet your fellow martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 09 Sep 2015 22:07
List of Key Aikido Terminology, Words & Commands - Section supported by Aikido books
Here are some of the key words, terms and commands used in Aikido. This martial arts style uses Japanese words and commands. In addition, you will find the Japanese name for individual techniques in the main Aikido Techniques section.
To learn how to count in Japanese for Aikido, please visit the Aikido Numbers page.
Terms & Commands used in Aikido
- Attacker or Person receiving the technique from the Tori - Uke
- Attention - Keiotsuke
- Backward - Ushiro
- Begin or Start - Hajime
- Block - Uke
- Blocking Techniques - Uke Waza
- Body Movement - Tai Sabaki
- Bow - Rei
- Chest - Mune
- Corner Throw - Sumi Nage
- Counter Techniques - Kaeshi Waza
- Defender or Person applying the technique to the attacker (Uke) - Tori
- Dislocation Techniques - Kansetsu Waza
- Entering Throw - Irimi Nage
- Form or Pattern - Kata (Aikido Katas)
- Hand - Te
- Hip Throw - Koshi Nage
- Kick - Geri or Keri
- Knee Walking - Shikko
- Knife (Wooden) - Tanto
- Martial Arts School - Dojo
- No - Iie
- Opposite (i.e. Opposite Hand) - Hantai
- Pinning Techniques - Katame Waza
- Please - Dozo
- Punch - Tsuki or Zuki
- Sit Down - Suwatte
- Stop - Yame
- Staff (Wooden) - Jo (short staff) or Bo (long staff)
- Stance - Daichi
- Striking Techniques - Uchi Waza
- Sword (Wooden) - Bokken
- Teacher/Instructor - Sensei
- Throwing Techniques - Nage Waza
- Turn Around - Mawatte
- Thank You (Formal) - Domo Arigato
- Thank You (Informal) - Domo
- Uniform - Gi
- Uniform Pants - Hakama
- Wrist - Kote
- Wrist Turn-Out - Kote Gaeshi
- Yes - Hai (Hi)
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Please visit the wiki community to see the most recent members posts. However, we have listed below some of the top-rated posts added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated martial arts questions & answers. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.