The Many Benefits of Martial Arts Training
Here is a list of the many benefits of martial arts training (i.e. health benefits, mental benefits and practical benefits).
Of course, please see a doctor before starting any martial arts training because training can be intense and could aggravate any underlying medical conditions (i.e. heart problems).
Health Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can help to improve HDL (good) cholesterol and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Martial arts can help students to lose weight given the significant calorie expenditure during training.
- Martial arts can improve muscle tone.
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of stretching & warm-up exercises and this can improve flexibility.
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of conditioning exercises and this can improve a student's stamina and energy.
- Martial arts can help with stress relief as you focus on your training and forget the tension of work.
- Martial arts can help students to gain a better night's sleep because they are tired after a martial arts class.
- Martial arts can improve a person's balance as they learn different stances, kicking positions, etc.
- Martial arts can release natural endorphins which can improve a student's mood.
- Martial arts and strenuous physical activity can improve bone density or help to slow bone loss.
- Martial arts can improve coordination as students need to combine a wide variety of kicks, punches and stances in activities such as kata training, sparring, etc.
- Martial arts provides an excellent form of cross training, especially for endurance sports.
Mental Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can help to improve concentration as students must achieve difficult tasks (i.e. breaking a wooden board) with accuracy and power in order to avoid possible injury.
- Martial arts can improve discipline as students learn how to obey instructions and work with others.
- Martial arts can improve a student's confidence because they learn how to master difficult techniques (i.e. spinning hook kick).
- Martial arts can help with stress relief as students focus on their training and forget the tension of work.
- Martial arts can stimulate a student's mind because they have to learn new techniques, terminology, etc.
- Martial arts can reduce fear and anxiety as students learn to deal with physically stressful situations (i.e. self-defense, sparring, etc.).
Practical Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can provide self-defense training.
- Martial arts can improve a student's muscular strength and power via a variety of strength training programs.
- Martial arts can help students to make new friends as they share the camaraderie of training and practice.
- Martial arts can be lots of fun!
- Taekwondo Animals.com, Taekwondo Health Benefits, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-health-benefits.asp, Added - 03/30/14
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Benefits of Physical Activity, http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/, Added - 03/30/14
- Mayo Clinic, 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity, http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389, Added - 03/30/14
- Full Potential Martial Arts, Resources: About Fitness, http://www.fullpotentialma.com/resources/about-fitness/, Added - 06/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Inspiring people I am starting to decorate my garage and I like the look tons of pics on the wall. So I am reaching out to all of you for people to put on my wall. I am looking for people that have faced diversity or over came something in the fighting arts. Looking fo...
- How to use a chair to practice high kicks Since we have been talking about Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's amazing flexibility and kicking prowess, I thought you would like to watch this Youtube video. It is a tutorial by Bill Wallace on how to use a chair to practice high kicks. Will Black Belt W...
- Black Belt Genie Let's say that one day you discover a Magic Lamp and out pops a Genie who will grant you 1 wish. The wish he'll grant you is to make you an expert in the Martial Art of your choice. You'd have all the knowledge and skill associated with this art as if ...
- Karate Kakie practice I was curious how many of my fellow karateka here practice kakie it is a series of "pushing hands" drills - which accept and flow off of an opponents incoming momentum as well as how to effectively push an opponent It is sometimes also described as ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi