The Many Benefits of Martial Arts Training
Here is a list of the many benefits of martial arts training (i.e. health benefits, mental benefits and practical benefits).
Of course, please see a doctor before starting any martial arts training because training can be intense and could aggravate any underlying medical conditions (i.e. heart problems).
Health Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can help to improve HDL (good) cholesterol and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Martial arts can help students to lose weight given the significant calorie expenditure during training.
- Martial arts can improve muscle tone.
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of stretching & warm-up exercises and this can improve flexibility.
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of conditioning exercises and this can improve a student's stamina and energy.
- Martial arts can help with stress relief as you focus on your training and forget the tension of work.
- Martial arts can help students to gain a better night's sleep because they are tired after a martial arts class.
- Martial arts can improve a person's balance as they learn different stances, kicking positions, etc.
- Martial arts can release natural endorphins which can improve a student's mood.
- Martial arts and strenuous physical activity can improve bone density or help to slow bone loss.
- Martial arts can improve coordination as students need to combine a wide variety of kicks, punches and stances in activities such as kata training, sparring, etc.
- Martial arts provides an excellent form of cross training, especially for endurance sports.
Mental Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can help to improve concentration as students must achieve difficult tasks (i.e. breaking a wooden board) with accuracy and power in order to avoid possible injury.
- Martial arts can improve discipline as students learn how to obey instructions and work with others.
- Martial arts can improve a student's confidence because they learn how to master difficult techniques (i.e. spinning hook kick).
- Martial arts can help with stress relief as students focus on their training and forget the tension of work.
- Martial arts can stimulate a student's mind because they have to learn new techniques, terminology, etc.
- Martial arts can reduce fear and anxiety as students learn to deal with physically stressful situations (i.e. self-defense, sparring, etc.).
Practical Benefits of Martial Arts Training
- Martial arts can provide self-defense training.
- Martial arts can improve a student's muscular strength and power via a variety of strength training programs.
- Martial arts can help students to make new friends as they share the camaraderie of training and practice.
- Martial arts can be lots of fun!
- Taekwondo Animals.com, Taekwondo Health Benefits, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-health-benefits.asp, Added - 03/30/14
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Benefits of Physical Activity, http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/, Added - 03/30/14
- Mayo Clinic, 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity, http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389, Added - 03/30/14
- Full Potential Martial Arts, Resources: About Fitness, http://www.fullpotentialma.com/resources/about-fitness/, Added - 06/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Please visit the wiki community to see the most recent members posts. However, we have listed below some of the top-rated posts added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated martial arts questions & answers. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Wiki Store - Books | DVDs | Shoes | Sparring Gear | Uniforms