Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info and help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc.
How To Do Martial Arts Breaking Techniques
Many martial arts such as Taekwondo and Kyokushin Karate practice breaking techniques in order to test a student's power and accuracy. For Japanese martial arts, breaking techniques are known as Tameshiwari.
Breaking tests and demonstrations utilize kicks and strikes in order to break wooden boards, concrete blocks, etc. There are a variety of different breaking techniques and combinations but they usually involve speed (i.e. breaking a large number of boards in a certain amount of time) and/or power (i.e. breaking a number of concrete blocks in a single blow).
Section supported by Books on Kicking Techniques
Martial Arts Breaking Tips & Instructions
- Martial arts students need to aim for a spot that is PAST the board.
- In order to break a wooden board, martial arts students need to kick/punch THROUGH the board. They shouldn't stop or slow down when they have hit the board (or it will hurt more and they will not break the board). Kicks and punches should continue at full power through the board towards the target "spot that is PAST the board" (see above).
- Practice with plastic rebreakable boards. Much cheaper than buying tons of wooden boards.
Taekwondo Breaking Demonstration
For other interesting martial arts polls & questions,
please visit the main wiki Polls section.
- Taekwondo Animals, Tips for Better Taekwondo Breaking, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-breaking.asp, Added - 12/17/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
- Martial Arts Music Does your martial arts school/instructor play music during your training? I am assuming that the vast majority of schools/instructors do not train with music... but just want to confirm. If your school does... Is it Asian-type music, Rocky-like music,...
- The best "martial arts" countries at the 2016 Olympics The 2016 Olympics has just ended and I thought it would be interesting to see which countries won the most martial arts gold medals. I have only included countries that won at least two martial arts gold medals in 2016. Russia was the biggest winner ...
- The "Screw" Hi, guys! I just thought I'd run this by you all and see if there are any questions about it! If you have any questions or suggestions about it (or if you can't use the concept after watching), PLEASE ask! I know it's polite to give praise, but it's ...
- Starting kids in martial arts. At what age are children able to start training martial arts? Personally my children have never known any other lifestyle, but I will not teach anyone under the age of 5. And often decline kids who are older based on maturity. Even though I was enco...
- Know it all kid My dojo is small and kids of all ages work together with the adults. I have an issue with one kid though and would like some help in handling him. He is one rank higher then me but has been with the dojo for a year longer. The issue is the Sensei ga...
- New TV show starring Jean-Claude Van Damme The Amazon TV pilot is called "Jean-Claude Van Johnson". Here is the synopsis from Amazon - "JEAN-CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON stars global martial arts & film sensation Jean-Claude Van Damme playing "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a global martial arts & film sensat...
- How to be better fighter than a UFC or MMA fighter? Was training in a park recently with more experienced friend A passerby walked up and said that we looked good but asked if it could beat an MMA fighter. Before i could say anything my friend spoke up. "Absolutely....UFC has 31 rules - i have none....
- Great week for training Did some awesome drills this past week 5 vs 1 aggressor tracking defense drills - even added in a baseball bat, hidden knife and gun Sparing with my 50lb weighted vest Rattan conditioning - had 4 people just hit me with rattan sticks Throws on the...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products by Brand Name
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!