Children and Martial Arts
This section provides tips and instructions for martial arts instructors when dealing with young students. This page will help instructors to design a separate martial arts training program for children.
For additional information for instructors, please visit the main Tips for Martial Arts Instructors section.
Section supported by Martial Arts Kid Books & Party Ideas
Related Children & Martial Arts Sections
Tips & Instructions
- Remember that children are not tiny adults. You must tailor a martial arts program to meet their lower levels of physical ability and limited attention spans.
- You can "hide" useful martial arts training in games and contests.
- Consider offering family programs where parents and children can train together. The family gets to bond and have fun together. The instructor will benefit from the parents helping their children with difficult techniques.
- Given the potential for lawsuits, you should make parents aware of the risks associated with martial arts training and consider asking them to sign a waiver form.
- Focus on child safety. Consider removing objects and modifying exercises that could lead to potential injuries or accidents. Adult students generally understand that injuries are a risk associated with martial arts training. Parents of children are less willing to accept training accidents.
- With children, you must be ready for potential injuries, allergic reactions, etc. Therefore, you need to develop a safety plan for your staff. You should consider having a first aid kit, learning CPR, having emergency phone numbers posted in prominent locations, etc.
- Develop a plan to avoid any potential adult improprieties towards children or allegations of impropriety. This should include staff, parents and adult visitors.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi