Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Wiki Revision Date - 23 Jul 2016 14:35
Children and Martial Arts
This section provides tips and instructions for martial arts instructors when dealing with young students. This page will help instructors to design a separate martial arts training program for children.
For additional information for instructors, please visit the main Tips for Martial Arts Instructors section.
Section supported by Martial Arts Kid Books & Party Ideas
Related Children & Martial Arts Sections
Tips & Instructions
- Remember that children are not tiny adults. You must tailor a martial arts program to meet their lower levels of physical ability and limited attention spans.
- You can "hide" useful martial arts training in games and contests.
- Consider offering family programs where parents and children can train together. The family gets to bond and have fun together. The instructor will benefit from the parents helping their children with difficult techniques.
- Given the potential for lawsuits, you should make parents aware of the risks associated with martial arts training and consider asking them to sign a waiver form.
- Focus on child safety. Consider removing objects and modifying exercises that could lead to potential injuries or accidents. Adult students generally understand that injuries are a risk associated with martial arts training. Parents of children are less willing to accept training accidents.
- With children, you must be ready for potential injuries, allergic reactions, etc. Therefore, you need to develop a safety plan for your staff. You should consider having a first aid kit, learning CPR, having emergency phone numbers posted in prominent locations, etc.
- Develop a plan to avoid any potential adult improprieties towards children or allegations of impropriety. This should include staff, parents and adult visitors.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi