List of Key Eskrima, Kali & Arnis Commands, Words & Terms
Here are a variety of the basic words and commands used in Arnis, Eskrima and Kali. This martial arts style often uses the Philippines language of Tagalog and some Spanish.
To learn techniques (i.e. strikes, blocks and disarms), please visit the main Eskrima, Kali & Arnis section. For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Eskrima, Kali & Arnis Numbers - How to Count
- One - Isa
- Two - Dalawa
- Three - Tatlo
- Four - Apat
- Five - Lima
- Six - Anim
- Seven - Pito
- Eight - Walo
- Nine - Siyam
- Ten - Sampu
- For more numbers, please visit the main Eskrima Numbers section.
Eskrima, Kali & Arnis Words & Commands - Terminology
- Dagger - Daga
- Distance (Long Range) - Largo
- Distance (Medium Range) - Medio
- Distance (Short Range) - Corto
- Goodbye - Paalam
- Grappling or Wrestling - Dumog
- Handle/grip of weapon - Puño
- Hello - Mabuhay (or) Kumusta
- How are you? - Kumusta?
- Instructor - Guro
- Machete - Bolo
- Poke - Tusok
- Respect - Pugay (form of salutation/greeting between Kali practitioners)
- Stab or Thrust - Saksak
- Stick (Single) - Solo Baston
- Stick (Double) - Doble Baston
- Stick Weapon - Yantok
- Sword - Espada
- Sword and Dagger - Espada y Daga
- Thank You - Salamat
- Unarmed Combat - Mano Y Mano
- You Are Welcome - Walang Anuman
- Weaving (Weapon Movement) - Sinawali
- Omniglot, Useful Tagalog Phrases, http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/tagalog.php, Added - 01/03/14
- Blade Apprentice, http://bladeapprentice.com, Added 1/14/14
Latest Pages Added to Wiki
Popular Community Posts
Latest Posts Added to Community
- Martial Arts Burnout & Recovering Lost Students We have talked about martial arts "burnout". This is when a student take an extended break or leaves martial arts entirely due to work/family problems, issues with time commitment, injuries or a wide variety of other causes. How does your school deal...
- Escrima "on the rocks" a clip of some fun stick work with one of my students last week blocking close quarter butting strikes while using footwork on the rocks by the shallows of the beach gonna take some more environmental training videos here in the next few weeks
- What is the biggest downside of martial arts training? How would you answer a potential student if they asked "What is the biggest downside of martial arts training"? I know that we all love martial arts training... but please do not give any answers like there are no downsides, etc. Try to point out some...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi