Famous Karate Quotes - Shotokan, Kyokushin, etc.
This page looks at famous Karate quotes from the founders of Shotokan Karate, Kyokushin, Wado-Ryu, etc. For other classic martial arts quotes (i.e. from Bruce Lee, Sun Tzu and Musashi), you should visit the wiki's section on Martial Arts Quotes.
If you would like to add to this list, please leave a comment on our wiki community's Famous Karate Quotes page.
Classic Karate Quotes
Gichin Funakoshi Quotes - Founder of Shotokan Karate
- Gichin Funakoshi - The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory nor defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants.
- Gichin Funakoshi - Train with both heart and soul without worrying about theory. Very often a person who lacks the quality of deadly seriousness will take refuge in theory.
Shoshin Nagamine - Founder of Matsubayashi-Ryu Karate
- Shoshin Nagamine - Karate ultimately produces in the individual a vital concentration of energy that expands to heroic proportions in times of crisis.
Hironori Otsuka Quotes - Founder of Wado-Ryu Karate
- Hironori Otsuka - It is obvious that these kata must be trained and practised sufficiently, but one must not be 'stuck' in them. One must withdraw from the kata to produce forms with no limits or else it becomes useless. It is important to alter the form of the trained kata without hesitation to produce countless other forms of training.
Mas Oyama Quotes - Founder of Kyokushin Karate
- Mas Oyama - Each of us has his cowardice. Each of us is afraid to lose, afraid to die. But hanging back is the way to remain a coward for life. The Way to find courage is to seek it on the field of conflict. And the sure way to victory is willingness to risk one's own life.
- Mas Oyama - The heart of our karate is real fighting. There can be no proof without real fighting. Without proof there is no trust. Without trust there is no respect. This is a definition in the world of martial arts.
- World Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do Federation, Quotes, http://www.shorin-ryu.net/quotes.html
Latest Pages Added to Wiki
Popular Community Posts
Latest Posts Added to Community
- Martial Arts Burnout & Recovering Lost Students We have talked about martial arts "burnout". This is when a student take an extended break or leaves martial arts entirely due to work/family problems, issues with time commitment, injuries or a wide variety of other causes. How does your school deal...
- Escrima "on the rocks" a clip of some fun stick work with one of my students last week blocking close quarter butting strikes while using footwork on the rocks by the shallows of the beach gonna take some more environmental training videos here in the next few weeks
- What is the biggest downside of martial arts training? How would you answer a potential student if they asked "What is the biggest downside of martial arts training"? I know that we all love martial arts training... but please do not give any answers like there are no downsides, etc. Try to point out some...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi