Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info and help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc.
List of Martial Arts Kata & Forms (with Instructions)
This section will help you to learn a wide variety of kata, forms and patterns (i.e. Shotokan Karate Katas and WTF Taekwondo Forms). These pages provide videos and/or written step-by-step instructions for the kata and forms used in martial arts such as Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, Tang Soo Do and Tai Chi. However, if you have any questions about a particular kata or form movement, please check with your instructor because kata and form instructions can vary by school and/or organization.
For katas using traditional weapons (i.e. Bo), please visit the main Martial Arts Weapon Katas section. You might also like to read our section on the benefits of kata and visit the section on bunkai (the practical application of kata). For more information on kata, please visit the wiki community discussions such as Which kata would you retain?, Competition Kata - Improvement Techniques, Is kata useful or useless?, etc.
List of Martial Arts Katas, Forms and Patterns - The sections below contain written and/or video instructions for each kata, form and/or pattern.
Kata & Form Applications
Many martial arts styles use kata, forms, poomse and/or patterns in order to help students practice certain moves (i.e. kicking techniques, self-defense techniques and various strikes) as well as for improving a student's physical conditioning, muscle memory, focus/concentration, balance, etc. To master many of these kata, forms or poomsae, martial arts students should try to imagine that they are fighting an imaginary opponent. This allows students to practice "offensive" or "defensive" techniques (i.e. strike the imaginary opponent's neck at the correct height and angle) versus just going through the motions in order to pass a belt test. In addition, many martial arts pull out portions of a kata or form in order to illustrate the self-defense techniques and situations that have been incorporated in that particular kata or form. This often involves two students where one is the attacker and one is the defender. In Karate and other Japanese martial arts, this kata-related technique is known as Bunkai.
In kata & form competitions and tests, most martial arts students are judged on factors such as accuracy of the pattern (i.e. Did they miss a step? Are they in the correct stance?), the power of their movements, timing/correct speed of their movements, balance, concentration, etc. Therefore, you must work on these elements (i.e. stances) in order to excel at your katas or forms.
For other interesting martial arts polls & questions, please visit the main wiki Polls section.
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo WTF Forms, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-forms.asp. Added - 04/19/13
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo ITF Patterns, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-ITF-forms.asp, Added - 04/19/13
- World Taekwondo Federation, Poomsae, http://www.wtf.org/wtf_eng/site/about_taekwondo/poomsae.html, Added - 05/23/13
- International Judo Federation, Judo Training - Kata, http://www.intjudo.eu, Added - 05/26/13
- International Wushu Federation, Wushu Taolu, http://www.iwuf.org/sport_03.asp, Added - 07/17/13
- International Shuri-Ryu Association, Katas, http://www.shuri-ryu.com/katas.htm, Added - 10/20/13
- Isshin-Ryu World Karate Association, Kata, http://www.isshinryukarate.com/, Added - 03/10/14
- Shito-Ryu International Karate Do Kai, Shito-Ryu Kata, http://www.seitoshitoryu.com/kata.php, Added - 04/13/14
- Shorinjiryu Kenryukan Karate, Shorinjiryu Kata, http://www.kenryukan.com/, Added - 06/09/14
- Chitoryu Karatedo, System of Techniques, http://www.chitoryu.co.jp/en/what05.html, Added - 06/15/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
- The best "martial arts" countries at the 2016 Olympics The 2016 Olympics has just ended and I thought it would be interesting to see which countries won the most martial arts gold medals. I have only included countries that won at least two martial arts gold medals in 2016. Russia was the biggest winner ...
- The "Screw" Hi, guys! I just thought I'd run this by you all and see if there are any questions about it! If you have any questions or suggestions about it (or if you can't use the concept after watching), PLEASE ask! I know it's polite to give praise, but it's ...
- Starting kids in martial arts. At what age are children able to start training martial arts? Personally my children have never known any other lifestyle, but I will not teach anyone under the age of 5. And often decline kids who are older based on maturity. Even though I was enco...
- Know it all kid My dojo is small and kids of all ages work together with the adults. I have an issue with one kid though and would like some help in handling him. He is one rank higher then me but has been with the dojo for a year longer. The issue is the Sensei ga...
- New TV show starring Jean-Claude Van Damme The Amazon TV pilot is called "Jean-Claude Van Johnson". Here is the synopsis from Amazon - "JEAN-CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON stars global martial arts & film sensation Jean-Claude Van Damme playing "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a global martial arts & film sensat...
- How to be better fighter than a UFC or MMA fighter? Was training in a park recently with more experienced friend A passerby walked up and said that we looked good but asked if it could beat an MMA fighter. Before i could say anything my friend spoke up. "Absolutely....UFC has 31 rules - i have none....
- Great week for training Did some awesome drills this past week 5 vs 1 aggressor tracking defense drills - even added in a baseball bat, hidden knife and gun Sparing with my 50lb weighted vest Rattan conditioning - had 4 people just hit me with rattan sticks Throws on the...
- Topics & Posts Focused on Members I just modified the main member section (found on the top menubar) to show member-related posts (i.e. the "member showcase" thread and "vacation photo" thread) at the bottom of that page - http://community.blackbeltwiki.com/members I want these member...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products by Brand Name
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!