List of Goju-Ryu Karate Katas with Instructions
This page will help you to learn the basic katas for Goju-Ryu Karate so you can get ready for your next belt test. However, if you have any questions about a particular kata movement, please check with your instructor because kata instructions and the order of katas can vary by school and organization. Many Goju-Ryu Karate schools use these katas in order to help students practice certain moves (i.e. kicking techniques, self-defense techniques and various strikes) as well as for improving a student's physical conditioning, muscle memory, focus/concentration, balance, etc.
For the katas of other Karate styles (i.e. Shotokan katas), please visit the main Katas & Forms section. While you are here, please post your opinion on our wiki community on whether you think kata is useful or useless.
For more information on kata, please visit the wiki community discussions such as Which kata would you retain?, Competition Kata - Improvement Techniques, Is kata useful or useless?, etc.
Section supported by Karate books
Taikyoku Kata - with videos and/or instructions
Main Goju-Ryu Katas - with videos and/or instructions
Main Goju-Ryu Kata Bunkai - with videos and/or instructions
- International Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-Do Federation IOGKF-USA, http://www.iogkf-usa.com/, Added - 01/10/14
- Goju-Kai Karate-Do USA, Kata Taikyoku, http://www.gojukai.com/taikyoku.htm, Added - 09/01/14
- Goju Karate Australia, Kata, http://gojukarateaustralia.com.au/kata.html, Added - 09/10/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
- Grading Have my Brown Belt grading today. Wish me luck
- Martial Arts Comedy - Funny or Not? Do you think this martial arts comedy is funny or not? The two male judges (including Howard Stern) thought it was funny and the two female judges thought it was not funny. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Kenjutsu - Basic Techniques Someone emailed us looking for information on basic Kenjutsu bokken techniques. If any of our sword experts would like to answer this question, please do it here. I can always transfer over some of the info to the wiki. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Kung Fun International by John Cooper Clarke Found this whilst browsing the net. Can't find a decent Youtube video of it so here's the lyrics to the poem Kung Fu Interntional by John C. Clarke Outside the take-away, Saturday night a bald adolescent, asks me out for a fight He was no bigger tha...
- How Much (If Any) Self Defence Is Practiced In Your Art? There are a couple of elements to this question, the first and most obvious is how much class time do you or your instructor dedicate to actual street defence and/or Bunkai (or its equivalent), the second slightly deeper element, how much of what your ...
- WHAT IS A KARATE OR MARTIAL ARTIST LIFE-STYLE ! I hear all kinks of talk of a karate or MA life-style. Is there such a thing or a standardization of martial artist life-style. What is acceptable around the world and are there regional or geographical versions. Some don't believe in any of this non-...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.