List of Grappling Martial Arts Styles
This page provides details about major and minor martial arts styles focused primarily on grappling and wrestling. It covers martial arts such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Shuai Jiao and many more. Hybrid systems are harder to classify because many have a grappling component. Nevertheless, we try to list those hybrid systems that contain a significant amount of grappling training (i.e. part of most training sessions).
If you think a style should be added to this page, please contact us. However, we will only accept martial arts styles that have many schools, an active style association/federation and/or a detailed Wikipedia page.
For martial arts styles from specific countries (i.e. Japan, Korea and China) and non-grappling martial arts, please visit the main Martial Arts Styles section.
Grappling Martial Arts - Click on each style for more information
- Bokh - Bokh is a traditional wrestling martial arts that was practiced by Mongol warriors. It is better known today as Mongolian Wrestling.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a Brazilian martial arts style focused on ground fighting (i.e. grappling).
- Catch Wrestling - Catch Wrestling is a grappling martial arts created in the late 1800s that combines techniques from wrestling, Judo, Jujutsu and other grappling martial arts.
- Danzan Ryu - An American hybrid form of Jujutsu. It is also known as Kodenkan.
- Judo - Judo is a Japanese martial arts style focused on grappling, joint locks and throws.
- Jujutsu - Jujutsu is a Japanese martial arts style focused on joint locks, holds and throws. It tries to redirect or manipulate the force of an attack in order to defeat the attacker.
- Luta Livre - Luta Livre is a Brazilian grappling martial arts known in Portuguese as "Free Fighting".
- Pankration - This Greek martial arts style combines grappling, kicking techniques and boxing. It was part of the first Olympics in 648 BC.
- Sambo - Sambo is a Russian martial arts style. There are two main types of Sambo; Combat Sambo and Sports Sambo. Nevertheless, Sports Sambo is focused on grappling.
- Shuai Jiao - A Chinese martial arts focused mainly on wrestling and grappling techniques.
- Ssireum - Ssireum is a Korean martial arts focused on wrestling.
- Sumo - Sumo is a Japanese martial arts focused on wrestling.
- Wrestling - Wrestling, while used mainly for sports today, is an ancient martial arts style of fighting. It focuses on grappling, throws and "pinning" your opponent.
Martial Arts with a Significant Grappling Component
- Daido Juku Kudo - Daido Juku Kudo is a Japanese martial arts that utilizes mixed martial arts techniques while wearing a traditional gi (uniform).
- Mixed Martial Arts - Mixed Martial Arts utilizes techniques from a variety of different martial arts styles (i.e. wresting, jiu-jitsu, boxing, karate, etc.) in order to defeat an opponent.
- Shootfighting - Shootfighting is a combat sport similar to Mixed Martial Arts. It is focused on techniques from "Muay Thai Kickboxing" to "Total Body Submission Grappling".
- Vale Tudo - Vale Tudo is a Brazilian martial arts system that is similar to Mixed Martial Arts but with even fewer rules. The limited number of rules can result in more injuries during Vale Tudo contests.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Bruce Lee's letters CBS did a recent show focusing on the philosophical commentary in Bruce Lee's letters. It also semi-looks at his daughter's role in Bruce Lee's archives & maintaining his legacy. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi