The Health Benefits of Martial Arts Training
Here is a list of the potential health benefits derived from martial arts training. Of course, please see a doctor before starting any martial arts training because the training can be intense and could aggravate any underlying medical conditions (i.e. heart problems). Nothing on this page constitutes medical advice.
Potential Martial Arts Health Benefits
- Martial arts can benefit HDL (good) cholesterol and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Martial arts can help students to lose weight given the significant calorie expenditure during training.
- The potential weight loss associated with martial arts training could also help to improve your insulin sensitivity. This may help to prevent or slow the onset of some types of diabetes.
- Weight loss could lower the chance of obesity-related cancer.
- Martial arts can improve muscle tone.
- Martial arts training can benefit an individual's overall strength and muscular power,
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of stretching & warm-up exercises and this can improve flexibility.
- Martial artists benefit from high levels of conditioning training and this can improve a person's stamina and energy levels.
- Since martial arts can boost an individual's stamina and endurance, it could provide you with more energy throughout the day. This can make you less tired during work.
- Martial artists can benefit from potential stress relief as you concentrate on your daily training session and forget the stress and tension of work.
- Martial arts can help students to gain a better night's sleep because they are tired after a martial arts class.
- Martial arts can improve a person's balance as they learn different stances, kicking positions, etc.
- Martial arts can release natural endorphins which can improve a student's mood.
- According to medical authorities, intense exercise can help boost your immune system. In turn, this could ward off or reduce the impact of some infectious diseases (i.e. flu).
- Martial arts and strenuous physical activity can improve bone density or help to slow bone loss.
- Martial arts can improve coordination as students need to combine a wide variety of kicks, punches and stances in activities such as kata training, sparring, etc.
- Martial arts can provide an excellent form of cross training, especially for endurance sports.
- According to the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, "Boys who regularly practiced judo had significantly higher foot arches and better balance than a control group of relatively inactive boys".
- Taekwondo Animals.com, Taekwondo Health Benefits, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-health-benefits.asp, Added - 07/10/14
- American Diabetes Association, Physical Activity is Important, http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/physical-activity-is-important.html, Added - 07/10/14
- Wall Street Journal, Is Judo A Fix For Flat Feet?, http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-judo-a-fix-for-flat-feet-1437406039, Added - 07/23/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
- Tattered, worn, white, blackbelt This video has an example of what I actually want to talk about. I have seen this before. I have seen this a lot... online. What is the deal with these tattered old blackbelts? If you don't know what I mean, skip to 10:57 to get a good look at Jess...
- Top 10 As a follow up to another question. You get 10 techniques to learn for the rset of your life. Stand up, ground throws etc. The jab cross and foot movement are already mastered. As well as the rnc, shrimping and hip ups. What would you choose
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics