The Health Benefits of Martial Arts Training
Here is a list of the potential health benefits derived from martial arts training. Of course, please see a doctor before starting any martial arts training because the training can be intense and could aggravate any underlying medical conditions (i.e. heart problems). Nothing on this page constitutes medical advice.
Potential Martial Arts Health Benefits
- Martial arts can benefit HDL (good) cholesterol and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Martial arts can help students to lose weight given the significant calorie expenditure during training.
- The potential weight loss associated with martial arts training could also help to improve your insulin sensitivity. This may help to prevent or slow the onset of some types of diabetes.
- Weight loss could lower the chance of obesity-related cancer.
- Martial arts can improve muscle tone.
- Martial arts training can benefit an individual's overall strength and muscular power,
- Martial arts utilizes a lot of stretching & warm-up exercises and this can improve flexibility.
- Martial artists benefit from high levels of conditioning training and this can improve a person's stamina and energy levels.
- Since martial arts can boost an individual's stamina and endurance, it could provide you with more energy throughout the day. This can make you less tired during work.
- Martial artists can benefit from potential stress relief as you concentrate on your daily training session and forget the stress and tension of work.
- Martial arts can help students to gain a better night's sleep because they are tired after a martial arts class.
- Martial arts can improve a person's balance as they learn different stances, kicking positions, etc.
- Martial arts can release natural endorphins which can improve a student's mood.
- According to medical authorities, intense exercise can help boost your immune system. In turn, this could ward off or reduce the impact of some infectious diseases (i.e. flu).
- Martial arts and strenuous physical activity can improve bone density or help to slow bone loss.
- Martial arts can improve coordination as students need to combine a wide variety of kicks, punches and stances in activities such as kata training, sparring, etc.
- Martial arts can provide an excellent form of cross training, especially for endurance sports.
- According to the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, "Boys who regularly practiced judo had significantly higher foot arches and better balance than a control group of relatively inactive boys".
- Taekwondo Animals.com, Taekwondo Health Benefits, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-health-benefits.asp, Added - 07/10/14
- American Diabetes Association, Physical Activity is Important, http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/physical-activity-is-important.html, Added - 07/10/14
- Wall Street Journal, Is Judo A Fix For Flat Feet?, http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-judo-a-fix-for-flat-feet-1437406039, Added - 07/23/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi