Join this free martial arts wiki & community. Add info to wiki & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc. Meet your fellow martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
List of Iaido Katas
The Japanese martial arts of Iaido relies heavily on katas (forms) in order to teach basic movements and striking techniques. There are 12 Seitei Iaido Katas (4 sitting katas and 8 standing katas).
If you are searching for information on other katas (i.e. Kendo), please visit the main Katas section.
Seitei Iaido Katas
Katas to perform when grading to:
- 6th Kyu - Kata's 1 & 2
- 5th Kyu - Kata's 3 & 4
- 4th Kyu - Kata's 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6
- 3rd Kyu - Kata's 1,3,5,7,8
Fifty percent of your grading relies on your bow in and out. These include a standing Rae and a kneeling bow at the start and kneeling bow followed by standing Rae at the end. As you get higher in grade these carry more weight so if you were going for 2nd Kyu and above and you forgot the first standing Rae or the Rae at the end it would be an automatic fail. Showing the balls of your feet at a black belt level also would result in an automatic fail. Each kata is worth about 10 points.
- Northern California Iaido Association, About Iaido, http://www.nckf.org/Iaido/AboutIaido.htm, Added - 10/26/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
New Posts on the Wiki Community
- Uniform thoughts and opinions When I was younger I had several lightweight "student" gi for in the dojo and a heavyweight gi made out of canvas for tournaments. I still have the canvas gi, though it is badly showing it's age, and I am no longer as slender as I was as a teenager. ...
- Self defense tactics against wrist grabs I am very skinny and when my fat friends used to grab my wrist and forcefully pull me to the place where they want. I don't want to harm them but at the same time I want to defend myself. What should I do?
- Roundhouse Kick Question I have done several styles of martial arts and all of them had me keep my guard up for a round house kick. I see pics and watch kumite with people that put their fist to cover the groin when doing the kick. For the people/styles that do this does it w...
- Is modern fencing a martial arts? Is fencing still a martial arts or has it become too much of an Olympic "sports"? In the 14th thru 17th centuries, fencing was a true martial arts with dueling scars & deaths. Moreover, until the modern era, sword fighting dominated martial training fo...
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.