List of Iaido Katas
The Japanese martial arts of Iaido relies heavily on katas (forms) in order to teach basic movements and striking techniques. There are 12 Seitei Iaido Katas (4 sitting katas and 8 standing katas).
If you are searching for information on other katas (i.e. Kendo), please visit the main Katas section.
Seitei Iaido Katas
Katas to perform when grading to:
- 6th Kyu - Kata's 1 & 2
- 5th Kyu - Kata's 3 & 4
- 4th Kyu - Kata's 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6
- 3rd Kyu - Kata's 1,3,5,7,8
Fifty percent of your grading relies on your bow in and out. These include a standing Rae and a kneeling bow at the start and kneeling bow followed by standing Rae at the end. As you get higher in grade these carry more weight so if you were going for 2nd Kyu and above and you forgot the first standing Rae or the Rae at the end it would be an automatic fail. Showing the balls of your feet at a black belt level also would result in an automatic fail. Each kata is worth about 10 points.
- Northern California Iaido Association, About Iaido, http://www.nckf.org/Iaido/AboutIaido.htm, Added - 10/26/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi