Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Wiki Revision Date - 15 Jun 2016 10:47
List of Iaido Katas
The Japanese martial arts of Iaido relies heavily on katas (forms) in order to teach basic movements and striking techniques. There are 12 Seitei Iaido Katas (4 sitting katas and 8 standing katas).
If you are searching for information on other katas (i.e. Kendo), please visit the main Katas section.
Seitei Iaido Katas
Katas to perform when grading to:
- 6th Kyu - Kata's 1 & 2
- 5th Kyu - Kata's 3 & 4
- 4th Kyu - Kata's 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6
- 3rd Kyu - Kata's 1,3,5,7,8
Fifty percent of your grading relies on your bow in and out. These include a standing Rae and a kneeling bow at the start and kneeling bow followed by standing Rae at the end. As you get higher in grade these carry more weight so if you were going for 2nd Kyu and above and you forgot the first standing Rae or the Rae at the end it would be an automatic fail. Showing the balls of your feet at a black belt level also would result in an automatic fail. Each kata is worth about 10 points.
- Northern California Iaido Association, About Iaido, http://www.nckf.org/Iaido/AboutIaido.htm, Added - 10/26/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Holding back. This week i sparred a vastly imferior fighter. The whole point was to get him ready for his first fight. He will in my opinion not win. I held back on every strike because even out of shape i am faster and more acurate/powerful than he is. Or so i tho...
- Inspiring people I am starting to decorate my garage and I like the look tons of pics on the wall. So I am reaching out to all of you for people to put on my wall. I am looking for people that have faced diversity or over came something in the fighting arts. Looking fo...
- How to use a chair to practice high kicks Since we have been talking about Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's amazing flexibility and kicking prowess, I thought you would like to watch this Youtube video. It is a tutorial by Bill Wallace on how to use a chair to practice high kicks. Will Black Belt W...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi