Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 10 Dec 2014 13:58
List of Iaido Waza
Iaido wazas are the most utilized form of training in the dojo. They can be started kneeling or standing and consist of drawing the sword, a striking or blocking technique, a swing to remove blood and finally returning the sword to its saya (scabbard). Wazas are also used to teach counter attacks.
Tora Tsuru Waza
- Shein-ken (real sword)
- Mak-ko (front assault)
- Ichi-monji (straight line)
- Ten-chi (heaven & earth)
- Ura-omote (rear and front)
- Tachi-sugata (standing posture)
- So-ko (side way)
- Geza-dome (seating defense)
- Sasoi (draw attention)
- Sure-chihai (passing each other)
Drawing/Using The Sword
- The sword (bokken, katana or wakizashi) is placed in the belt with the blade facing up.
- To draw the sword, you must first "unlock" it by pushing the tsuba with the thumb to loosen the sword.
- Next the saya is tilted outward and the hand is placed in the correct position.
- The sword is then pulled out in the way that requires keeping one hand on the saya until it is removed.
- You will then use the sword with both hands.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Community "Clean Up" In about a week, I will be doing a little spring cleaning... all members who have never posted or commented on a conversation will be deleted. Also if you were an active poster but haven't posted or commented in the past year, we will also review your ...
- Go Command My dojo has used Oss to execute an action. We do this when doing kicks or next step in a group kata so we are on time, the leader will say Oss. This past year we got a new Renshi and he hates Oss and the over-utilization the west has put on it. Okinaw...
- Spar bar I am going to build one of these in a week or 2. I had a hand to use one. They are a bit pricey though. At about $200. https://youtu.be/inc91ugGvis
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics