Learn about the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF)
The International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF) is a large global organization focused on spreading the martial arts of Taekwondo and was founded in 1966 by General Choi Hong Hi of Korea. Moreover, the ITF states that “Taekwon-Do” was invented by Gen. Choi Hong Hi in April, 1955.
There are three separate organizations claiming to be the "true" ITF. Unfortunately, the ITF split into competing groups due to a rift between General Choi Hong Hi (the founder of ITF) and his son in the early 2000s and later due to the death of General Choi Hong Hi. These organizations include the International Taekwon-Do Federation (itftkd.org) and International Chang-Hon Taekwon-do Federation (ictf-admin.com).
Other large non-ITF international Taekwondo associations include the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) and American Taekwondo Association (ATA).
While most Taekwondo organizations use similar techniques (i.e. Taekwondo kicks), the ITF uses patterns (or teul) that differ significantly from the Taegeuk forms used by the WTF Taekwondo or the forms used by ATA Taekwondo, ITF Taekwondo is also famous for the Taekwondo Sine Wave technique.
- International Taekwon-Do Federation, http://www.itftkd.org/, Added - 04/22/14
- International Chang-Hon Taekwon-do Federation, http://www.ictf-admin.com/, Added - 04/23/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi