Kusanku Sai Kata - Isshin-Ryu Karate Kata
Here are instructions and videos for Isshin-Ryu Kata - Kusanku Sai (or Kusanku No Sai). This Karate kata uses the traditional martial arts weapon known as a Sai. For other Isshin-Ryu Karate katas, please visit the main Isshin-Ryu Karate Kata section.
Written instructions are listed at the bottom of the page. However, if you have any questions about a particular kata movement, please check with your instructor because kata instructions can vary by school and organization. For information on other Karate katas, please visit the main Kata & Forms section.
Demonstration Video for Isshin-Ryu Kata Kusanku Sai
Written Instructions for Kusanku Sai Kata
Bow and assume the ready position.
1. Facing front left oblique, closed high block with left and closed low block with right in front stance.
2. Shift to facing front right oblique, closed high block with right and closed low block with left in front stance.
3. Flip out left sai and strike ribs towards front. Close sai and do high block with left.
4. Stomp with left foot. Shift stance to front left oblique front stance and punch with right sai towards front. Flip out right sai and strike ribs. Close sai and block up with right.
5. Stomp with right foot. Shift stance to front right oblique front stance and punch with left sai towards front. Flip out left sai and strike ribs. Close sai and block up with left.
6. Turn right 180° into cat stance right foot forward. Do front snap kick with right foot. Flip out and strike temple with right sai.
7. Turn to the left 180° into front stance left foot forward while flipping out left sai. Land in left guard position.
8. Step forward to right guard position.
9. Step forward to left guard position.
10. Step forward and stab with right.
11. Turn 180° to the left and stab with left with left foot forward.
12. Step forward and stab with right.
13. Twist 180° left and strike temple with right sai while doing open high block with left sai.
14. Front snap kick with right foot. Place right foot in front and turn 180° to the left and kneel down on right knee. Open low block with left sai.
15. Stand up and stab with right sai without stepping.
16. Bring right foot behind left so that they are twisted. Strike temple with right sai and open block up with left sai.
17. Front snap kick with right foot.
18. Step right foot in front and turn 180° to left. Kneel down on right knee and do open low block with left sai.
19. Stand up and close both sais. Without stepping do a right reverse punch.
20. Shift stance to left facing cat stance and do a left front snap kick.
21. Kneel down onto right knee and do an open low block and a closed low block with left sai.
22. Stand and turn 180° to a right facing cat stance. Front snap kick with right foot
23. Kneel down onto left knee and do an open low block and a close low block with right sai.
24. Stand up and turn 135° to left into left guard position facing front left oblique.
25. Step forward into right guard position.
26. Turn 90° to right into a right guard position facing front right oblique.
27. Step forward into left guard position.
28. Turn 90° to right facing back right oblique with right foot forward in front stance. Thrust sais upward into an “X” block open.
29. Twist 135° to the left so that your body faces front and your legs are crossed right behind left. Strike temple with right sai and do open high block with left sai.
30. Front snap kick with right foot. Step forward into right front stance and low block open with right sai.
31. Cross left leg behind right and strike down with left sai at waist level, then right sai strikes left sai.
32. Step back with left foot into front stance and close both sais and do right handed outside inside block.
33. Shuffle forward without stepping and throw a left punch then a right punch as you move.
34. Turn 180° to the left and land in a cat stance with left foot forward. Open left sai and strike to the ribs. Then close sai.
35. Jump spin 180° to the left and land kneeling on your left knee. Have both sais supporting your arms on the group with the blunt side of the sai touching the ground.
36. Jump spin 180° to the right and land kneeling on your right knee. Have both sais supporting your arms on the group with the blunt side of the sai touching the ground.
37. Stand up and step forward in front stance doing a closed outside inside block with right hand.
38. Shuffle forward without stepping and throw a left punch then a right punch as you move.
39. Turn 180° to the left into a left cat stance doing a center block but the blocking hand lays flat. Then block down closed with left hand.
40. Step forward with right foot, then cross left leg behind right foot and punch with right sai.
41. Untwist full circle rotating to the left. Land facing front left oblique in a front stance with left foot forward and block open low with left sai.
42. Front snap with left foot. Strike temple with left sai. Close the sai and block down with left sai.
43. Step left foot to right foot. Then step left foot forward to front stance facing front right oblique, and double punch with right sai about left sai.
44. Shift into cat stance with right foot forward facing back while opening the sais. Strike with right sai low towards the back and strike high with the left sai behind you.
45. Step forward with left into a horse stance facing the rooms left. Strike the ribs with the left sai then the right sai.
46. Drop arms so that sais point down then thrust them up into an “X” block. Slash down with both sais so that they return to pointing at the floor.
47. Turn 135° to the right so that you are facing the front right oblique of the room. Land in front stance with right foot forward and thrust up into an “X” block.
48. Step back with right foot keeping left sai in the air. Take right sai and slash down into the right prong of the left sai. Shift weight forward without stepping and stab through the prong of the left sai with the right sai.
49. Flip the sais in and face the back landing in a right front stance doing closed inside outside block with right sai.
50. Shuffle forward without stepping and throw a left punch then a right punch as you move.
51. Turn 180° to the left and open sais. Land in guard position left.
52. Step forward into guard position right.
53. Switch feet so that you are standing in a left front stance but don’t step forward. Close sais and block close high with left and closed low with right.
54. Bring right sai up and open then slash low to the left, then low to the right, finally close the sai and block down (do this all while left sai continues to do high block).
55. Step forward block high closed with right, and low closed with left.
56. Bring left sai up and open then slash low to the right, then low to the left, finally close the sai and block down (do this all while the right sai continues to do high block).
57. Step with right into a left facing horse stance and double punch inward toward ribs.
58. Shift into front facing cat stance with right foot forward and strike open low with right sai (this move traditionally was where the person would throw the sai at the ground. However this form is no longer done with three sais and this form is often done where sais cannot be thrown so it was replaced with a low open strike. However it should be done as if the sai is being thrown).
59. Bring right open sai to left hip (as if to grab another sai to replace the one that was thrown). Then step forward opening left sai into left guard position.
60. Close left sai and stab with right sai while stepping forward. Close right sai and block down.
61. Step forward and punch with left sai, open and strike to ribs with left sai, then stab with left sai. Close the left sai and block down.
62. Step forward and punch with right sai, open and strike with right sai, then stab with right sai. Close the right sai and block down.
63. Step right foot back to left so that feet are together. Thrust upward into an “X” block right in front of face. Close sais then bring them to your side.
Bow and return to ready position.
- Written kata instructions kindly provided by Mikey Tito, instructor with Northern Illinois Tang Soo Do - http://www.nitsd.com, Added - 07/08/16
- Isshin-Ryu World Karate Association, Kata, http://www.isshinryukarate.com/, Added - 03/10/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
- New Shodan!!! Hello BBW community, I would just like to let you know that I passed my shodan test last night. I will try to get a pic or two up. I made mistakes but they just made me more focused when they happened. As some may have read my last post, the political...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Party Ideas
- Rash Guards
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews