Instructions for the ITF Taekwondo L-Stance or Niumja Sogi
This page provides details for the ITF Taekwondo L-Stance. In Korean, this Taekwondo stance is known as Niumja Sogi. Stances are be used in ITF Taekwondo patterns, training exercises, sparring, etc.
For more ITF stances (i.e. walking stance), please visit the main Taekwondo stances section.
Written Instructions for the ITF Taekwondo L-Stance
- One foot in front of the other foot.
- Length of this stance is one and a half shoulder widths.
- There is almost no "width" to this stance because a student's heels should be almost in line. The rear heel should only by 2.5 cm to the side of the heel of the front foot when moving towards the target.
- Feet should form a L shape (with one foot facing forward and one facing to the side).
- According to the ITF Switzerland Taekwon-Do Federation, a student should bend "the rear leg until the knee cap forms a vertical line with toes, bending the front leg proportionally".
- Body weight is split 70% on rear leg and 30% on front leg.
- Wales TKD, ITF Stances, http://www.walestkd.co.uk/stances-sogi/, Added - 05/22/14
- ITF Switzerland Taekwon-Do Federation, http://www.taekwondo-itf.ch/, Added - 05/23/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi