Jeet Kune Do - A Martial Arts Style Created By Bruce Lee
Jeet Kune Do is an American martial arts that was created by Bruce Lee, the well-known martial artist and movie star (i.e. Enter the Dragon" and "Fist of Fury"). Jeet Kune Do focuses on techniques that are effective in real combat situations (versus martial arts that utilize stylized patterns or that focus on sports "sparring" techniques). This martial arts style utilizes kicks, punches, grappling and traps.
Bruce Lee created Jeet Kune Do by combining elements from many different martial arts including Wing Chun, boxing and even fencing (for its footwork and tactics).
Amazon - Books on Jeet Kune Do
History of Jeet Kune Do
According to BruceLee.com, "Jeet Kune Do means the 'Way of the Intercepting Fist'… and the core philosophical tenet behind JKD translate to 'Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation'. The term Jeet Kune Do was coined around 1967 by Bruce Lee in an attempt to put a name to his expression of his martial way. Lee wrestled with putting a name to his art as he constantly veered away from any type of crystallization of its essence, however, the simple need to refer to it in some concrete way won out and Jeet Kune Do was born. The idea of intercepting is key to JKD, whether it be the interception of your opponent's technique or intent."
- BruceLee.com, Jeet Kune Do, http://www.brucelee.com/index.cfm/page/Jeet-Kune-Do/pid/10254, Added - 6/30/13
- Bruce Lee Foundation, Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, http://bruceleefoundation.org/index.cfm/pid/10606, Added - 9/14/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Bruce Lee's letters CBS did a recent show focusing on the philosophical commentary in Bruce Lee's letters. It also semi-looks at his daughter's role in Bruce Lee's archives & maintaining his legacy. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi