Jeet Kune Do - A Martial Arts Style Created By Bruce Lee
Jeet Kune Do is an American martial arts that was created by Bruce Lee, the well-known martial artist and movie star (i.e. Enter the Dragon" and "Fist of Fury"). Jeet Kune Do focuses on techniques that are effective in real combat situations (versus martial arts that utilize stylized patterns or that focus on sports "sparring" techniques). This martial arts style utilizes kicks, punches, grappling and traps.
Bruce Lee created Jeet Kune Do by combining elements from many different martial arts including Wing Chun, boxing and even fencing (for its footwork and tactics).
Amazon - Books on Jeet Kune Do
History of Jeet Kune Do
According to BruceLee.com, "Jeet Kune Do means the 'Way of the Intercepting Fist'… and the core philosophical tenet behind JKD translate to 'Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation'. The term Jeet Kune Do was coined around 1967 by Bruce Lee in an attempt to put a name to his expression of his martial way. Lee wrestled with putting a name to his art as he constantly veered away from any type of crystallization of its essence, however, the simple need to refer to it in some concrete way won out and Jeet Kune Do was born. The idea of intercepting is key to JKD, whether it be the interception of your opponent's technique or intent."
- BruceLee.com, Jeet Kune Do, http://www.brucelee.com/index.cfm/page/Jeet-Kune-Do/pid/10254, Added - 6/30/13
- Bruce Lee Foundation, Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, http://bruceleefoundation.org/index.cfm/pid/10606, Added - 9/14/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Why The Insistent Teacher Have you experienced the instent teacher, one who shows no flecibility to the organizations structure? Have you doubted or inquired into why the teacher is so rigid. Did you expect flexibility standards in your development. What do you expect to gain i...
- Cross Roads of Martial Arts Cross Roads in martial arts comes at any time of life can be a difficult decision. How do recognize it and what do you do about it ? Does life carry on for the elderly and the disabled karate-ka. How about those who struggle with rank progression. Wh...
- Martial arts tattoos Do you have any? What are your thoughts on them? I had one done a couple of years ago and I have decided to have a second one done today.
- Welcome to all of our recent new members I want to welcome the following new members: [239660,David Byler] , [239549,Hossein] , [239548,Graeme Reay] , [239422,Nick Santa Anna] , [239394,Marcus Moore] , [239264,Paul Helton] , [239260,Simon Mackenzie] , [239205,Rock Carey Sr.] , [239198,Vicki ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi