Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info and help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc.
List of Judo Katas with Videos
This page focuses on the katas used in Judo. These katas use a partner in order to demonstrate basic Judo principles.
- Goshin-Jutsu Kata - Judo's self-defense kata
- Itsutsu-No Kata
- Ju-No Kata
- Katame-No Kata
- Kime-No Kata
- Koshiki-No Kata
- Nage-No Kata
Judo Kata Information
According to the International Judo Federation, "There are seven formal kata in judo, and each technique in each kata is practiced in a precise and prescribed manner. Two of the kata - nage no kata (forms of throwing) and katame no kata (forms of grappling) demonstrate many of the basic principles underlying all the contemporary judo throwing and grappling techniques in current use to-day. As such, they are also known as randori no kata, or the forms of randori, because of the easy translation to randori techniques. All other kata, however, involve techniques that are not seen in contemporary judo practice. The kime no kata, for example, involves techniques of striking, kicking, punching, and techniques with weapons - a short and long sword. Likewise, koshiki no kata is a kata of battlefield attack and defense. It simulates various techniques when you are wearing body armor… Proficiency in some kata, typically the nage no kata, is usually required by many national federations of judo around the world for promotion to shodan, or 1st degree black belt. Many of the other kata, especially katame no kata, ju no kata (forms of gentleness), and kime no kata (forms of decisiveness) are generally required for higher rank promotions."
- International Judo Federation, Judo Training - Kata, http://www.intjudo.eu, Added - 5/26/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
- Possible Inactive Member Deletions This is just a heads up, I will be deleting some inactive member accounts after the labor day weekend (deletions will start around Sept 6). If you are an active poster or even if you just post once every few months, you are okay. However, if you are ...
- Karate in mma. I constantly hear how ineffective karate is in mma. Well this videofrom.last nights fights kinda tells it differently. There is even a kiai on the knock out. https://youtu.be/3E7GMkmFKBI
- Taekwondo hurt by Olympic rules & modern sensors? This Washington Post article discusses how Taekwondo is moving away from its traditional striking expertise. The article states "Instead of aggressive fights and flurries of kicks that were staples of taekwondo just a decade ago, taekwondo matches have...
- K-Pop Martial Arts Music Video As a follow-up to our martial arts music discussion, here is a popular K-Pop martial arts music video. This is to honor of @Andy and @Christopher Adamchek ... and to make everyone else nauseous. :) Will Black Belt Wiki
- Martial Arts in Fiction This is a post for people to post their favourite pieces of Martial Arts in fiction, and by that I mean fictional martial arts, or a source that hasn't been already explored in the movies side of things. Personally a favourite of mines is the martial ...
- Martial Arts Music Does your martial arts school/instructor play music during your training? I am assuming that the vast majority of schools/instructors do not train with music... but just want to confirm. If your school does... Is it Asian-type music, Rocky-like music,...
- The best "martial arts" countries at the 2016 Olympics The 2016 Olympics has just ended and I thought it would be interesting to see which countries won the most martial arts gold medals. I have only included countries that won at least two martial arts gold medals in 2016. Russia was the biggest winner ...
- The "Screw" Hi, guys! I just thought I'd run this by you all and see if there are any questions about it! If you have any questions or suggestions about it (or if you can't use the concept after watching), PLEASE ask! I know it's polite to give praise, but it's ...
- Starting kids in martial arts. At what age are children able to start training martial arts? Personally my children have never known any other lifestyle, but I will not teach anyone under the age of 5. And often decline kids who are older based on maturity. Even though I was enco...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products by Brand Name
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!