Learn Judo Words, Commands, Numbers & Terminology
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 22 Jul 2014 15:00
Learn Judo Words, Commands, Numbers & Terminology
Here are many of the key words, terms and commands used in Judo. This martial arts style utilizes Japanese words and commands. To learn how to count in Japanese (for Judo stretches, etc.), visit the Judo Numbers page.
For the Japanese names of specific techniques (i.e. Hip Wheel Throw), please visit the main Judo Techniques section.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Judo Terms & Commands - English to Japanese
- The person performing the technique - Tori
- Attention - Keiotsuke
- Begin - Hajime
- Belt - Obi
- Bow - Rei
- Break Your Fall - Ukemi
- Carry On (continue the contest) - Yoshi
- Collar of Uniform - Eri
- Counter Techniques - Kaeshi Waza
- The person on the receiving end of a technique - Uke
- Evasion - Sukasu
- Foot Techniques - Ashi Waza
- Form or Pattern - Kata
- Free Exercise/Sparring - Randori
- Give Up - Maitta
- Grappling Techniques - Katame Waza
- Ground Techniques - Ne Waza
- Hand Techniques - Te Waza
- Hip Techniques - Koshi Waza
- Joint Locks - Kansetsu Waza
- Kneeling Bow - Zarei
- Martial Arts School - Dojo
- Practice/Training Mat - Tatami
- Sacrifice Techniques - Sutemi Waza
- School (Judo) - Dojo
- Shoulder Throw - Seoi-Nage
- Start - Hajime
- Stop - Matte
- Sweeping Techniques - Harau
- Teacher/Instructor - Sensei
- Techniques - For the Japanese names of most Judo techniques (i.e. specific throws), please visit the main Judo Techniques section.
- Unbalancing An Opponent - Kuzushi
- Uniform - Judogi
- Warning - Keikoku
Judo Terms & Commands - Japanese to English
- Ashi Waza - Foot Techniques
- Dojo - School (Judo)
- Eri - Collar of Uniform
- Hajime - Begin/Start
- Harau - Sweeping Techniques
- Judogi - Uniform
- Kaeshi Waza - Counter Techniques
- Kansetsu Waza - Joint Locks
- Kata - Form or Pattern
- Katame Waza - Grappling Techniques
- Keikoku - Warning
- Keiotsuke - Attention
- Koshi Waza - Hip Techniques
- Kuzushi - Unbalancing An Opponent
- Matte - Stop
- Maitta - Give Up
- Ne Waza - Ground Techniques
- Obi - Belt
- Randori - Free Exercise/Sparring
- Rei - Bow
- Sensei - Teacher/Instructor
- Seoi-Nage - Shoulder Throw
- Sukasu - Evasion
- Sutemi Waza - Sacrifice Techniques
- Tatami - Practice/Training Mat
- Te Waza - Hand Techniques
- Tori - The person performing the technique
- Uke - The person on the receiving end of a technique
- Ukemi - Break Your Fall
- Yoshi - Carry On (continue the contest)
- Zara - Kneeling Bow
Members - If you add a Judo term or command, please add the English/Japanese equivalent to both columns. Thanks.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Tattered, worn, white, blackbelt This video has an example of what I actually want to talk about. I have seen this before. I have seen this a lot... online. What is the deal with these tattered old blackbelts? If you don't know what I mean, skip to 10:57 to get a good look at Jess...
- Top 10 As a follow up to another question. You get 10 techniques to learn for the rset of your life. Stand up, ground throws etc. The jab cross and foot movement are already mastered. As well as the rnc, shrimping and hip ups. What would you choose
- New dojo mats Some of your know I've been wanting new mats and finally got them for my bday. 3' by 3' 1" thick Dual sided black and grey 180 sqft worth of them The basement dojo looks beautiful and near professional. Add me on Facebook if you want to see.
- The 3 grappling moves that every martial artist should know What the the 3 grappling techniques that every martial artist should know? They can be submissions, escapes, etc. They can also be from BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, etc. Please try to name the techniques and explain why they should be learned. Think that yo...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics