Learn Judo Words, Commands, Numbers & Terminology
Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Wiki Revision Date - 22 Jul 2014 15:00
Learn Judo Words, Commands, Numbers & Terminology
Here are many of the key words, terms and commands used in Judo. This martial arts style utilizes Japanese words and commands. To learn how to count in Japanese (for Judo stretches, etc.), visit the Judo Numbers page.
For the Japanese names of specific techniques (i.e. Hip Wheel Throw), please visit the main Judo Techniques section.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Judo Terms & Commands - English to Japanese
- The person performing the technique - Tori
- Attention - Keiotsuke
- Begin - Hajime
- Belt - Obi
- Bow - Rei
- Break Your Fall - Ukemi
- Carry On (continue the contest) - Yoshi
- Collar of Uniform - Eri
- Counter Techniques - Kaeshi Waza
- The person on the receiving end of a technique - Uke
- Evasion - Sukasu
- Foot Techniques - Ashi Waza
- Form or Pattern - Kata
- Free Exercise/Sparring - Randori
- Give Up - Maitta
- Grappling Techniques - Katame Waza
- Ground Techniques - Ne Waza
- Hand Techniques - Te Waza
- Hip Techniques - Koshi Waza
- Joint Locks - Kansetsu Waza
- Kneeling Bow - Zarei
- Martial Arts School - Dojo
- Practice/Training Mat - Tatami
- Sacrifice Techniques - Sutemi Waza
- School (Judo) - Dojo
- Shoulder Throw - Seoi-Nage
- Start - Hajime
- Stop - Matte
- Sweeping Techniques - Harau
- Teacher/Instructor - Sensei
- Techniques - For the Japanese names of most Judo techniques (i.e. specific throws), please visit the main Judo Techniques section.
- Unbalancing An Opponent - Kuzushi
- Uniform - Judogi
- Warning - Keikoku
Judo Terms & Commands - Japanese to English
- Ashi Waza - Foot Techniques
- Dojo - School (Judo)
- Eri - Collar of Uniform
- Hajime - Begin/Start
- Harau - Sweeping Techniques
- Judogi - Uniform
- Kaeshi Waza - Counter Techniques
- Kansetsu Waza - Joint Locks
- Kata - Form or Pattern
- Katame Waza - Grappling Techniques
- Keikoku - Warning
- Keiotsuke - Attention
- Koshi Waza - Hip Techniques
- Kuzushi - Unbalancing An Opponent
- Matte - Stop
- Maitta - Give Up
- Ne Waza - Ground Techniques
- Obi - Belt
- Randori - Free Exercise/Sparring
- Rei - Bow
- Sensei - Teacher/Instructor
- Seoi-Nage - Shoulder Throw
- Sukasu - Evasion
- Sutemi Waza - Sacrifice Techniques
- Tatami - Practice/Training Mat
- Te Waza - Hand Techniques
- Tori - The person performing the technique
- Uke - The person on the receiving end of a technique
- Ukemi - Break Your Fall
- Yoshi - Carry On (continue the contest)
- Zara - Kneeling Bow
Members - If you add a Judo term or command, please add the English/Japanese equivalent to both columns. Thanks.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Bruce Lee's letters CBS did a recent show focusing on the philosophical commentary in Bruce Lee's letters. It also semi-looks at his daughter's role in Bruce Lee's archives & maintaining his legacy. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi