Learn about Karate's Bunkai - The Practical Application of Kata
Bunkai is a Karate technique where kata is broken down and studied for its offensive and defensive elements. For example, an instructor could select a portion of a kata in order to show a student how this kata element is used to defend against an attack (i.e. middle punch, high kick, etc.). Bunkai do not have to be the same for each kata element studied because there can be different interpretations and applications. Bunkai require a partner or a group of partners in order to demonstrate attacks and counters.
According to Hawaii Karate Seinenkai, "there is a world of difference between being able to merely perform the movements of the kata and truly understanding them". Bunkai allows Karate students to "truly understand" a kata by reviewing the practical application of each kata movement.
To learn the kata movements associated with bunkai, please visit the main Katas & Forms section for Shotokan katas, Goju-Ryu katas, Shorin-Ryu katas, etc.
List of Bunkai - The sections below provide bunkai for the various katas used by that specific Karate style
- Hawaii Karate Seinenkai, The Why of Bunkai, http://seinenkai.com/art-bunkai.html, Added - 07/24/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
- Tattered, worn, white, blackbelt This video has an example of what I actually want to talk about. I have seen this before. I have seen this a lot... online. What is the deal with these tattered old blackbelts? If you don't know what I mean, skip to 10:57 to get a good look at Jess...
- Top 10 As a follow up to another question. You get 10 techniques to learn for the rset of your life. Stand up, ground throws etc. The jab cross and foot movement are already mastered. As well as the rnc, shrimping and hip ups. What would you choose
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics