Learn Kendo Kata 1 (Ippon-me) - Video & Written Instructions
This page provides details for Kendo kata 1 (Ippon-me). We have provided video and/or written instructions to help you master this kata.
See the bottom of the page for step-by-step written instructions for this Kendo kata.
For additional kata instruction, please visit the main Kendo Katas section.
Youtube Video of Kendo Kata 1
Youtube Video of Kendo Kata 1
Written Instructions for Kendo Kata 1
- Uchidachi: two-handed hidari (left) jodan position
- Shidachi: two-handed migi (right) jodan position.
- The Uchidachi begins on the left foot and the Shidachi on the right foot; both advance three big steps
- Seeing a chance to act, the Uchidachi advances his right foot and delivers a cut to the shomen of the Shidachi.
- Stepping slightly backward on the left foot, the Shidachi retracts his hands and evades the sword of the Uchidachi.
- The Shidachi delivers a cut to the Shomen of the Uchidachi.
- Lowering the tip of his sword to a gedan position, the Uchidachi takes one step backward on the left foot.
- The Shidachi takes one step forward on his left foot as he holds the point of his sword at the center of the face of the Uchidachi.
- The Uchidachi takes one step to the rear.
- Maintaining the spiritual and physical drive (zanshin) of his actions to the end, the Shidachi brings both hands to the hidari jodan position.
- The Uchidachi will slowly raise his kensen from the gedan position to the chudan position.
- At the same time the Shidachi will draw back his left foot and lower the hidari jodan position to assume the chudan position.
- Both break the chudan positions by lowering the tips of their swords, which are placed to point diagnonally leftward.
- Beginning on the left foot, each takes five steps to the rear and assumes the chudan position.
- Written kata instruction (1-4) courtesy of Norwalk Kendo Dojo, http://www.eanet.com/norwalk/, Added - 01/29/14
- All Japan Kendo Federation, http://www.kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-top-page.html, Added - 01/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
- New Shodan!!! Hello BBW community, I would just like to let you know that I passed my shodan test last night. I will try to get a pic or two up. I made mistakes but they just made me more focused when they happened. As some may have read my last post, the political...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Party Ideas
- Rash Guards
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews