List of Kendo Katas (1 through 10) with Videos & Instructions
Below are instructions and videos for the basic Kendo katas 1 through 10. These pages will help you to master the katas for your next test.
Katas are used in Kendo in order to help students practice certain moves (i.e. strikes) as well as for improving a student's physical conditioning, muscle memory, focus/concentration, balance, etc.
In kata competitions, students are judged on a variety of factors such as accuracy of the kata (i.e. Did they miss a step?), the power of their movements, timing/correct speed of their movements, balance, concentration, etc.
If you are looking for Bokuto Ni Yoru Kendo Kihon-Waza Keiko-Ho, please visit the Kendo Kihon Bokuto Waza section.
Kendo Long Sword Katas (Tachi Katas)
- Kendo Kata 1 (Ippon-me)
- Kendo Kata 2 (Nihon-me)
- Kendo Kata 3 (Sanbon-me)
- Kendo Kata 4 (Yonhon-me)
- Kendo Kata 5 (Gohon-me)
- Kendo Kata 6 (Roppon-me)
- Kendo Kata 7 (Nanahon-me)
Kendo Short Sword Katas (Kodachi Katas)
- Kendo Kata 8 (Kodachi No Ippon-me)
- Kendo Kata 9 (Kodachi No Nihon-me)
- Kendo Kata 10 (Kodachi No Sanbon-me)
- Cleveland Kendo Association, Nihon Kendo Kata, http://www.clevelandkendo.com/kata.htm, Added - 01/09/14
- Written kata instruction (1-4) courtesy of Norwalk Kendo Dojo, http://www.eanet.com/norwalk/, Added - 01/29/14
- All Japan Kendo Federation, http://www.kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-top-page.html, Added - 01/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Karate Kakie practice I was curious how many of my fellow karateka here practice kakie it is a series of "pushing hands" drills - which accept and flow off of an opponents incoming momentum as well as how to effectively push an opponent It is sometimes also described as ...
- Special Forces Strength Training Here are a few "easy" exercises to spice up your next martial arts strength training workout. I like how he incorporates grappling dummies and plyomterics into his workout. If I had to do this training routine, I would be losing body parts after a few...
- Let's play Detective My instructor and I were talking about the upcoming Power Rangers film, and how it would be different to the original series. He then started to tell me of a movie he saw in the 80's that seemed to follow a similar formula to power rangers, where kids ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Search Engine
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi