List of Kendo Katas (1 through 10) with Videos & Instructions
Below are instructions and videos for the basic Kendo katas 1 through 10. These pages will help you to master the katas for your next test.
Katas are used in Kendo in order to help students practice certain moves (i.e. strikes) as well as for improving a student's physical conditioning, muscle memory, focus/concentration, balance, etc.
In kata competitions, students are judged on a variety of factors such as accuracy of the kata (i.e. Did they miss a step?), the power of their movements, timing/correct speed of their movements, balance, concentration, etc.
If you are looking for Bokuto Ni Yoru Kendo Kihon-Waza Keiko-Ho, please visit the Kendo Kihon Bokuto Waza section.
Kendo Long Sword Katas (Tachi Katas)
- Kendo Kata 1 (Ippon-me)
- Kendo Kata 2 (Nihon-me)
- Kendo Kata 3 (Sanbon-me)
- Kendo Kata 4 (Yonhon-me)
- Kendo Kata 5 (Gohon-me)
- Kendo Kata 6 (Roppon-me)
- Kendo Kata 7 (Nanahon-me)
Kendo Short Sword Katas (Kodachi Katas)
- Kendo Kata 8 (Kodachi No Ippon-me)
- Kendo Kata 9 (Kodachi No Nihon-me)
- Kendo Kata 10 (Kodachi No Sanbon-me)
- Cleveland Kendo Association, Nihon Kendo Kata, http://www.clevelandkendo.com/kata.htm, Added - 01/09/14
- Written kata instruction (1-4) courtesy of Norwalk Kendo Dojo, http://www.eanet.com/norwalk/, Added - 01/29/14
- All Japan Kendo Federation, http://www.kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-top-page.html, Added - 01/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
New Posts on the Wiki Community
- Self-Defense Against A Clown Since America seems to be experiencing clown hysteria or at least a few idiots in clown suits trying to scare people, I thought you might like to watch Master Ken's latest video. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Community Experiment I have switched the replies sorting option to most popular first (versus most recent first). Therefore, you will see the replies with the most positive/up votes first (as there were lots of great answers to questions being buried under jokes, hi my nam...
- Sparring Gear, Medieval Armor or Industrial Footwear? You might find this an interesting "upgrade" to your existing martial arts sparring shin guards. :) Seriously, I think it is some type of industrial protective footwear. Ellwood Safety Appliance 323 Aluminum Shin-Instep Guard Amazon link to the produ...
- The Definition of Martial Arts How would you define a martial arts in 50 words or less? Try to make your definition cover all aspects so no martial arts style is forgotten (i.e. weapon-based martial arts). Don't look at a dictionary because the answer can be incomplete as there are ...
- A Couple of less well known Karate Techniques Here are a couple of traditional Okinawan Karate Techniques that are still practiced (to some degree) in a few styles but are on the whole forgotten! http://www.karatebyjesse.com/2-okinawan-karate-deadly-techniques/
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.