Kenjutsu - Japanese Martial Arts Style
Kenjutsu is a Japanese martial arts focused on sword techniques. In contrast to Kendo, Kenjutsu is less focused on sparring and more on technique and katas. Nevertheless, sparring is still practiced to some degree in Kenjutsu. Tameshigiri or target cutting is also practiced in the art of Kenjutsu. In Japanese Bujutsu, Kenjutsu is often taught along side Iaijutsu which is the older art of sword drawing techniques that gave birth to the more modern Martial Art Iaido. There are traditionally 8 basic cuts used in Kenjutsu (though there are variations on these, they are as follows-
1. Shomen Uchi
(Sometimes called Shomen Giri or Kiri Oshi)
Vertical downward head/face cut
2. Hidari Kessa Giri
Left diagonal downward shoulder to hip cut
3. Hidari ichimonji Giri
Left horizontal cut
4. Hidari Joho Giri
Left upward diagonal hip/waist to shoulder cut
5.Migi Joho Giri
Right upward diagonal hip/waist to shoulder cut
6. Migi Ichimonji Giri
Right horizontal cut
7.Migi Kessa Giri
Right downward diagonal shoulder to hip cut
Other areas are also targeted in Kenjutsu typically the hands wrist and arms of an opponent, the opponent legs, and any other vulnerable target area that presents itself. There are 3 'types' of Blocking used in Kenjutsu, these are
1. Uke genashi
Block and deflect methods
2. Uke tomi
Direct blocking methods
3. Uke Kiri
Blocking and cutting methods (also blocking with the lower part of the live blade.
There are 5 basic attitudes or positions In Kenjutsu, these are
1.Jodan no Kamae
2.Chudan no Kamae
3.Gedan no Kamae
4.Hasso no Kamae
5.Waki no Kamae
Lower ready attitude
Some of the basic equipment needed for Kenjustsu include a Dogi (top/shirt), Hakama (pants), kenjutsu obi (belt) and heavy duty white oak bokken (wooden training weapon approximating the weight and shape of a Japanese sword) for training.
- Ohio Budokan, Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.ohiobudokan.org/Kenjutsu.php, Added - 5/29/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Parties - Martial Arts-Themed Party Items
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews