List of Kobudo Weapons - Traditional Okinawan Martial Arts Weapons
This page provides details and videos on traditional Kobudo weapons (Okinawan weapons) such as the Bo, Nunchaku, Sai and Nunti Bo. It also covers less well-known Kobudo weapons such as Tinbe Rochin (short spear and shield) and Tekko (brass knuckles).
Kobudo training is often provided for higher level Karate students. Nevertheless, there are some martial arts schools that focus solely on Kobudo training. Beyond self-defense training, these weapons are also used in martial arts weapon katas.
For information on other traditional martial arts weapons (such as the Meteor Hammer or Naginata), please visit the main Martial Arts Weapons section.
List of Traditional Kobudo Weapons - with videos, photos and/or greater weapon details
- Bo - Long staff
- Eku - An Okinawan weapon that originated from an oar
- Hanbo - Half staff
- Kama - Small sycthe
- Kuwa - Okinawan weapon based on the garden hoe
- Nunchaku - Also known as Nunchucks
- Nunti Bo - An Okinawan spear with hooks on the side
- Sai - Three pronged weapon
- Sansetsukon - Three section weapon
- Surujin - Surujin is an Okinawan weighted chain or rope weapon
- Tambo - A very short staff (similar to a baton)
- Tekko - Okinawan (Japan) knucklebuster or brass knuckles
- Tinbe Rochin - Spear and shield combination
- Tonfa - Two baton-like weapons
- Ryukyu Kobujutsu Association GB, Weapons of Ryukyu Kobujutsu, http://www.rkagb.com/weapons_intro.htm, Added - 08/13/14
- Ryukyu Kobudo Shimbukan, Weapons, http://ryukyu-kobudo.com/weapons/, Added - 08/13/14
- International Okinawa Kobudo Association, The Weapons of Kobudo, http://traditionaljapanesemartialarts.com/IOKA/index.html, Added - 08/13/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Party Ideas
- Rash Guards
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews