Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 02 Jun 2015 20:17
Kokyu Ho is a term used in the Japanese Martial Arts for breathing exercises. Kokyu Ho are used to increase internal strength by developing Ki. This helps focus and to aid relaxation and meditation. There are a number of Kokyu Ho but the one most practiced is the one described below.
This breathing exercise can be performed either sitting or standing but is generally performed in Japanese martial arts while in the Seiza or Zazen positions. Breath is slowly drawn in through the nose expanding first the abdomen (Hara) then the chest cavity, the breath is then held for a count of 10 seconds before being exhaled through the mouth. A further count of 5 seconds should then commence before repeating the inhaling procedure. The entire process should be repeated several times.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Go Command My dojo has used Oss to execute an action. We do this when doing kicks or next step in a group kata so we are on time, the leader will say Oss. This past year we got a new Renshi and he hates Oss and the over-utilization the west has put on it. Okinaw...
- Spar bar I am going to build one of these in a week or 2. I had a hand to use one. They are a bit pricey though. At about $200. https://youtu.be/inc91ugGvis
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics