List of Kung Fu & Wushu Words, Commands & Terminology
Here are many of the basic Chinese words, terms and commands used in Kung Fu (Wushu). For other martial arts words & commands (i.e. Japanese used in Karate), please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Other Chinese Terminology Pages
Important Kung Fu (Wushu) Words & Commands
- Begin - Kai Shi (pinyin: kāishǐ, simplified chinese: 开始)
- Block - Kwa
- Bow - Kow Tow (pinyin: kòutóu, simplified chinese: 叩头)
- Cheers (when drinking/celebrating) - Gan Bei
- Dodge - Seen
- Ear - Erduo
- Eye - Yan Jing
- Foot - Jiao
- Form or Routine - Taolu (pinyin: tàolù, simplified chinese: 套路). The first syllable "tao" should not be confused with "dao" which has different meaning, pronunciation and chinese written character
- Good - Hao (sounds like How). Very good is Hěn Hǎo (Hung How) and not good is Bù Hǎo (Boo How).
- Goodbye - Zai Jian (pinyin: zàijiàn, simplified chinese: 再见)
- Grab - Fong
- Head - Tou
- Hello - Ni Hao (pinyin: nǐ hǎo, simplified chinese: 你好). Sounds like Nee How.
- How Are You? - Ni Hao Ma
- I - Wa
- Instructor - Jiaolian (pinyin: jiàoliàn, simplified chinese: 教练)
- Kick - Ti (pinyin: tī, simplified chinese: 踢). Not to be confused with 腿 (pinyin: tuǐ) which means leg or foot
- Kung Fu School - Kwoon or Wu Guan
- Lateral Stomp Kick - Ce Chuai Tui
- Leg - Tui
- Life Force - Qi or Chi (pinyin: qì, simplified chinese: 气)
- Master - Shifu (pinyin: Shīfu, simplified chinese: 师父)
- Neck - Bo Zi
- No - Bù (Boo)
- Nose - Bi Zi
- Not Good - Bù Hǎo (Boo How)
- Punch - Quan
- Roundhouse Kick - Bian Tui (whipping leg kick)
- Salute - Gen Lai
- Side Kick - Ce Ti Tui
- Stomach (Belly) - Du Zi
- Student - Tu Di (túdì, 徒弟)
- Thank You - Xie Xie
- Very Good - Hěn Hǎo (Hung How)
- You - Ni or Nee
- You Are Welcome - Bu-ke-qi (literally means don't act like a guest)
Learn Chinese by Listening to Common Mandarin Phrases
- Wudang Kung Fu Bucuresti, http://www.wdkf.ro | https://www.facebook.com/wdkf.ro, Added - 03/16/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Chuck Norris hears his own Chuck Norris "facts" (jokes)... You might like to watch this video as Chuck Norris reads some of the famous (infamous) internet jokes made about his legendary toughness. If you want to read some more of these jokes, please visit this community thread - http://community.blackbeltwiki...
- thoughts on Kata to practice kata Was on a FB chat and expressed my idea for my dojo I will start in the next 3 to 10 years. my idea: traditional Goju Ryu training meaning: core 12 katas only, train in the basics and physical condition, kumite, bunkai, philosophy There will be modern...
- Why The Insistent Teacher Have you experienced the instent teacher, one who shows no flecibility to the organizations structure? Have you doubted or inquired into why the teacher is so rigid. Did you expect flexibility standards in your development. What do you expect to gain i...
- Cross Roads of Martial Arts Cross Roads in martial arts comes at any time of life can be a difficult decision. How do recognize it and what do you do about it ? Does life carry on for the elderly and the disabled karate-ka. How about those who struggle with rank progression. Wh...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi