List of Kung Fu & Wushu Words, Commands & Terminology
Here are many of the basic Chinese words, terms and commands used in Kung Fu (Wushu). For other martial arts words & commands (i.e. Japanese used in Karate), please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Other Chinese Terminology Pages
Important Kung Fu (Wushu) Words & Commands
- Begin - Kai Shi (pinyin: kāishǐ, simplified chinese: 开始)
- Block - Kwa
- Bow - Kow Tow (pinyin: kòutóu, simplified chinese: 叩头)
- Cheers (when drinking/celebrating) - Gan Bei
- Dodge - Seen
- Ear - Erduo
- Eye - Yan Jing
- Foot - Jiao
- Form or Routine - Taolu (pinyin: tàolù, simplified chinese: 套路). The first syllable "tao" should not be confused with "dao" which has different meaning, pronunciation and chinese written character
- Good - Hao (sounds like How). Very good is Hěn Hǎo (Hung How) and not good is Bù Hǎo (Boo How).
- Goodbye - Zai Jian (pinyin: zàijiàn, simplified chinese: 再见)
- Grab - Fong
- Head - Tou
- Hello - Ni Hao (pinyin: nǐ hǎo, simplified chinese: 你好). Sounds like Nee How.
- How Are You? - Ni Hao Ma
- I - Wa
- Instructor - Jiaolian (pinyin: jiàoliàn, simplified chinese: 教练)
- Kick - Ti (pinyin: tī, simplified chinese: 踢). Not to be confused with 腿 (pinyin: tuǐ) which means leg or foot
- Kung Fu School - Kwoon or Wu Guan
- Lateral Stomp Kick - Ce Chuai Tui
- Leg - Tui
- Life Force - Qi or Chi (pinyin: qì, simplified chinese: 气)
- Master - Shifu (pinyin: Shīfu, simplified chinese: 师父)
- Neck - Bo Zi
- No - Bù (Boo)
- Nose - Bi Zi
- Not Good - Bù Hǎo (Boo How)
- Punch - Quan
- Roundhouse Kick - Bian Tui (whipping leg kick)
- Salute - Gen Lai
- Side Kick - Ce Ti Tui
- Stomach (Belly) - Du Zi
- Student - Tu Di (túdì, 徒弟)
- Thank You - Xie Xie
- Very Good - Hěn Hǎo (Hung How)
- You - Ni or Nee
- You Are Welcome - Bu-ke-qi (literally means don't act like a guest)
Learn Chinese by Listening to Common Mandarin Phrases
- Wudang Kung Fu Bucuresti, http://www.wdkf.ro | https://www.facebook.com/wdkf.ro, Added - 03/16/14
Latest Pages Added to Wiki
Popular Community Posts
Latest Posts Added to Community
- Martial Arts Burnout & Recovering Lost Students We have talked about martial arts "burnout". This is when a student take an extended break or leaves martial arts entirely due to work/family problems, issues with time commitment, injuries or a wide variety of other causes. How does your school deal...
- Escrima "on the rocks" a clip of some fun stick work with one of my students last week blocking close quarter butting strikes while using footwork on the rocks by the shallows of the beach gonna take some more environmental training videos here in the next few weeks
- What is the biggest downside of martial arts training? How would you answer a potential student if they asked "What is the biggest downside of martial arts training"? I know that we all love martial arts training... but please do not give any answers like there are no downsides, etc. Try to point out some...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi