Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Conditioning, etc. Talk with fellow martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Wiki Revision Date - 03 Jan 2016 22:20
Magbabayo - Figure 8
This page focuses on the figure 8 Sinawali drill known as Magbabayo.
Instructions for Technique
- For the simplest version of this drill start with both fists (holding sticks) up by their respective shoulder
- Start with the dominant hand and throw a for hand slash and then a back hand slash with the tip of the stick following a horizontal figure eight and returning to its shoulder
- Then proceed with the non dominant hand (a for hand and back hand slash in a horizontal figure eight pattern) and return to the shoulder
- Continue drilling this pattern until you can throw one after another
- Add more power by twisting the hip and popping the heel
- Try moving around a bit
- Practice with a partner
- Striking against each other's sticks with the same fore hand and back hand strikes
- Move around using simple foot work
- IF foam sticks are available have one partner attack with the figure eight pattern and have the other counter attack using the figure eight pattern to strike the hand of the incoming attack
- Weave using both hands together
- Throw both for hand strike and back hand strike together
- Throw the for hand strike of one hand and the back hand strike of the other at the same time
- Weave the arms over one another while doing so
For more Sinawali please refer to the Doble Baston page.
Latest Informational Pages Added to Wiki
Popular & Highly Rated Community Posts
Recent Member Posts Added to Community
- Irimi Training "Irimi" or "entering" is primarily used and studied in aikido, though other martial arts use similar concepts.
- MMA vs Thai Chi (sort of) Here is a video that has apparently gone viral in China showing what happens when a 'self styled' Tai Chi 'master' comes up against years of dedicated MA training http://shanghaiist.com/2017/04/28/mma-vs-tai-chi.php
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi