Marine Corps Martial Arts Tan Belt - Rear Hand Punch
This section focuses on tan belt techniques used by the Marine Corps martial arts program. This page examines how to do a rear hand punch in the Marine Corps martial arts program. To learn about other martial arts punches, please visit the main Punches & Hand Strikes section. Information from Public Domain Document, MCRP 3-02B, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP).
For more Marine Corps techniques, please visit the main Marine Corps Martial Arts Program section.
Rear Hand Punch
The rear hand punch is a snapping punch that is executed by the rear hand. This is a power punch that is designed to inflict the maximum damage on your aggressor. The power comes from pushing off of your rear leg while rotating your hips and shoulders.
The striking surface is the first two knuckles of the fist.
Target Areas of the Body
Soft tissue areas such as the nose, the jaw, and the throat are the primary target areas.
~ Assume the basic warrior stance.
~ Rotate your hips and shoulders forcefully toward the aggressor and thrust your rear hand straight out, palm down, to nearly full extension.
~ Shift your body weight to your lead foot while pushing off on the ball of your rear foot.
~ Your rear heel may raise or flare off of the deck.
~ Keep your lead hand in place to protect your head.
~ Make contact on the aggressor with the first two knuckles of your fist.
~ Rapidly return to the basic warrior stance.
~ The fist travels out and back in a straight line. A common mistake is to pull back low and then reset. This is incorrect and leaves you open to a counterattack.
See figure 2-7.
Return to Previous Page | Continue to Next Page
- Information from Public Domain Document, MCRP 3-02B, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP), http://www.marines.mil/News/Publications/ELECTRONICLIBRARY.aspx, Added - 02/18/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Is realistic self-defense training a contradiction in itself? There are countless providers that claim to offer realistic self-defense training. Routinely implied in in such claims is that other, more traditional schools/dojos/styles fail to address this. However, I am wondering if realistic self-defense training...
- Moderation I am sorry that (for the first time) I felt the need to get all moderatory :) Unlike (a certain member) I do not feel the need to continually brag or boast (or lie) about my rank or experience, rather I would hope that my words on this community and my...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi