Martial Arts at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
This page provides details on the martial arts events at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Martial arts such as Boxing, Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Judo and Fencing are participating as Olympic sports in 2020. The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan and will run from July 24 to August 09, 2020.
Karate was not part of the 2016 Rio Olympics. However luckily, Karate was approved for the 2020 Olympics because the events are being hosted by Japan. At the 2020 Olympics, the Karate events will include kumite (sparring) and kata.
According to the Tokyo Olympic website, for the Karate kata segment, athletes can choose from "75 types designated by the WKF. At the tournament, competitors are required to demonstrate a different kata for each match, including the final". In addition, the Karate kumite at the 2020 Olympics will be non-contact. "Competitors send tsuki, or punches, and keri, or kicks, with explosive force at the prescribed regions of their opponent's body. However, a tsuki or keri never actually hits the opponent because competitors perform every tsuki and keri with absolute control, enabling them to stop the motion suddenly only millimetres before coming into contact with their opponent".
Currently, we are not listing Archery as an Olympic martial arts because it does not compete as a combative one-on-one Olympic event.
Competition Rules & Regulations at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
Martial Arts Gold Medal Results at Past Olympics
Boxing Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Uzbekistan - 3, Cuba - 3, France - 2, Kazakhstan - 1, Russia - 1, UK - 1, USA - 1 and Brazil - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - UK - 3, Ukraine - 2, Cuba - 2, Russia - 1, Ireland - 1, Kazakhstan - 1, China - 1, Japan - 1 and USA - 1.
Fencing Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Russia - 4, Hungary - 2, Italy - 1, France -1, S. Korea - 1 and Romania - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Italy - 3, S. Korea - 2, China - 2, Ukraine - 1, Hungry - 1 and Venezuela - 1.
Judo Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Japan - 3, France - 2, Russia - 2, Italy - 1, USA - 1, Brazil - 1, Slovenia - 1, Argentina - 1, Czech Republic - 1 and Kosovo - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Russia - 3, France - 2, S. Korea - 2, Japan -1, Cuba - 1, Brazil - 1, USA - 1, Georgia - 1, N. Korea - 1 and Slovenia - 1.
Taekwondo Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - S. Korea - 2, China - 2, UK - 1, Azerbaijan - 1, Ivory Coast - 1 and Jordan - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Spain - 1, China - 1, S. Korea - 1, Turkey - 1, UK - 1, Italy - 1, Argentina - 1 and Serbia - 1.
Wrestling Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Russia - 4, Japan - 4, Cuba - 2, USA - 2, Turkey - 1, Iran - 1, Armenia - 1, Georgia - 1, Canada - 1 and Serbia - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Russia - 4, Japan - 4, Iran - 3, Azerbaijan - 2, United States - 2, Cuba - 1, Uzbekistan - 1, South Korea - 1
For other interesting martial arts polls & questions,
please visit the main wiki Polls section.
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games, http://www.rio2016.com/en, Added - 01/29/14
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, Karate, https://tokyo2020.jp/en/games/sport/olympic/karate/, Added - 12/26/16
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Go Command My dojo has used Oss to execute an action. We do this when doing kicks or next step in a group kata so we are on time, the leader will say Oss. This past year we got a new Renshi and he hates Oss and the over-utilization the west has put on it. Okinaw...
- Spar bar I am going to build one of these in a week or 2. I had a hand to use one. They are a bit pricey though. At about $200. https://youtu.be/inc91ugGvis
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics