Martial Arts at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
This page provides details on the martial arts events at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Martial arts such as Boxing, Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Judo and Fencing will be participating as Olympic sports in 2020. The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan and will run from July 24 to August 09, 2020.
Karate was not part of the 2016 Rio Olympics. However luckily, Karate was approved for the 2020 Olympics because the events are being hosted by Japan. At the 2020 Olympics, the Karate events will include kumite (sparring) and kata.
According to the Tokyo Olympic website, for the Karate kata segment, athletes can choose from "75 types designated by the WKF. At the tournament, competitors are required to demonstrate a different kata for each match, including the final". In addition, the Karate kumite at the 2020 Olympics will be non-contact. "Competitors send tsuki, or punches, and keri, or kicks, with explosive force at the prescribed regions of their opponent's body. However, a tsuki or keri never actually hits the opponent because competitors perform every tsuki and keri with absolute control, enabling them to stop the motion suddenly only millimetres before coming into contact with their opponent".
Currently, we are not listing Archery as an Olympic martial arts because it does not compete as a combative one-on-one Olympic event.
Amazon - Books on the Olympics
Competition Rules & Regulations at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
Martial Arts Gold Medal Results at Past Olympics
Boxing Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Uzbekistan - 3, Cuba - 3, France - 2, Kazakhstan - 1, Russia - 1, UK - 1, USA - 1 and Brazil - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - UK - 3, Ukraine - 2, Cuba - 2, Russia - 1, Ireland - 1, Kazakhstan - 1, China - 1, Japan - 1 and USA - 1.
Fencing Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Russia - 4, Hungary - 2, Italy - 1, France -1, S. Korea - 1 and Romania - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Italy - 3, S. Korea - 2, China - 2, Ukraine - 1, Hungry - 1 and Venezuela - 1.
Judo Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Japan - 3, France - 2, Russia - 2, Italy - 1, USA - 1, Brazil - 1, Slovenia - 1, Argentina - 1, Czech Republic - 1 and Kosovo - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Russia - 3, France - 2, S. Korea - 2, Japan -1, Cuba - 1, Brazil - 1, USA - 1, Georgia - 1, N. Korea - 1 and Slovenia - 1.
Taekwondo Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - S. Korea - 2, China - 2, UK - 1, Azerbaijan - 1, Ivory Coast - 1 and Jordan - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Spain - 1, China - 1, S. Korea - 1, Turkey - 1, UK - 1, Italy - 1, Argentina - 1 and Serbia - 1.
Wrestling Gold Medals
- 2016 Olympics - Russia - 4, Japan - 4, Cuba - 2, USA - 2, Turkey - 1, Iran - 1, Armenia - 1, Georgia - 1, Canada - 1 and Serbia - 1.
- 2012 Olympics - Russia - 4, Japan - 4, Iran - 3, Azerbaijan - 2, United States - 2, Cuba - 1, Uzbekistan - 1, South Korea - 1
For other interesting martial arts polls & questions,
please visit the main wiki Polls section.
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games, http://www.rio2016.com/en, Added - 01/29/14
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, Karate, https://tokyo2020.jp/en/games/sport/olympic/karate/, Added - 12/26/16
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
- Is realistic self-defense training a contradiction in itself? There are countless providers that claim to offer realistic self-defense training. Routinely implied in in such claims is that other, more traditional schools/dojos/styles fail to address this. However, I am wondering if realistic self-defense training...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi