List of Best Martial Arts Books
Here is our selection of the best martial arts books on Amazon. These are our favorite martial arts books and cover a wide range of techniques, styles and kata. They will help you to learn more about your existing martial arts style and discover new martial arts systems & techniques.
While you are here, please vote for the best martial arts book and see how others have voted. Or visit our section on martial arts books for kids. At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. We do not sell any of these products. You will be purchasing them from Amazon. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Best Martial Arts Books
Our favorite martial arts books!
- Advanced Brazilian Jiujitsu Techniques - This BJJ book discards "the techniques that didn't work on larger, stronger opponents. What you are left with is a highly effective and efficient system of grappling that works for and on everyone".
- The Art of War - The famous book on strategy and tactics from Sun Tzu (China's best known strategist).
- The Book of Five Rings - A legendary book on martial arts strategy and tactics by Japan's most famous swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi.
- Bruce Lee's Fighting Method - This book "explains how to survive attacks on the street, increase training awareness, and develop body movements".
- Complete Krav Maga - An book with detailed instructions and pictures for a huge range of Krav Maga techniques.
- The Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual: Your Guide to Diet, Nutrition, Exercise and Excellence in the Martial Arts - Author Loren Christensen and personal trainer Wim Demeere "combine their knowledge of martial arts, weight training, nutrition, diet and exercise to answer your questions and put you on the road to becoming the best martial arts athlete you can be".
- Jiu-Jitsu University - 5 star book focused on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) techniques.
- Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano - Covering everything from the fundamental techniques to prearranged formal exercises for both men and women, this book offers detailed explanations of how Judo techniques are combined in two types of practice: randori (free practice) and kata (the practice of forms).
- Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think - This book provides a "step-by-step approach to applying the Japanese warrior's mind set to martial training and daily life."
- The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program: The Complete Combat System - The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program "draws from the best martial arts techniques of boxing, jiu-jitsu, judo, sambo, krav maga, karate, aikido, escrima, arnis, hap ki do, karate, tae kwon do, kung fu, and kick boxing. Fighting techniques including: battle skill orientation; stance; posture; movement; weapons handling and function; striking; cutting; grappling; restraints and manipulations; and integration of weapons".
- Musashi: An Epic Novel of the Samurai Era - This novel looks at the legendary Japanese swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi. Musashi is also known for his use of two swords during battles (versus the typical one sword used by a samurai).
- Taekwondo: State of the Art - Excellent book focused on Taekwondo with illustrated instructions for WTF forms.
- The Tao of Jeet Kune Do - This book focuses on Jeet Kune Do, the martial arts style created by Bruce Lee. "The science and philosophy behind the fighting system Lee pioneered himself—jeet kune do—is explained in detail, depicted through hundreds of Lee’s own illustrations".
- 25 Shoto-Kan Kata - 5 star book that helps you to learn kata for Shotokan Karate. This book provides details for each kata movement including timing, rhythm, stances, foot placement, etc.
- Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts - Ultimate Flexibility "is a complete guide to stretching for martial arts, from the very basics of why you should stretch to detailed workout guidelines for every style and level of martial arts practice".
- Zen in the Martial Arts The author shows how the "daily application of Zen principles not only developed his physical expertise but gave him the mental discipline to control his personal problems-self-image, work pressure, competition".
Martial arts books that are frequently purchased by our visitors.
Bruce Lee Books
Diet & Nutrition Books for Martial Artists
Eskrima Books, Arnis Books, etc.
Krav Maga Books
Kung Fu Books
Military Martial Arts Books
Mixed Martial Arts Books
Muay Thai Books
Physical Fitness Books
Stretching & Flexibility Books
- Beyond Kicking: A Complete Guide to Stretching and Kicking - This book states "Along with super stretching secrets, you'll learn how to use your flexibility to improve kicking techniques".
- Dynamic Stretching & Kicking - This stretching book is by the famous martial artist, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace.
- Full-Body Flexibility - This book "blends the best of yoga, Pilates, martial arts, and sport training".
- The Martial Artist's Book of Yoga: Improve Flexibility, Balance and Strength for Higher Kicks, Faster Strikes, Smoother Throws, Safer Falls, and Stronger Stances - This books focuses on how yoga can improve your martial arts flexibility.
- Plyo-Flex: Plyometrics and Flexibility Training for Explosive Martial Arts Kicks and Performance Sports
- Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts - This stretching book is specifically targeted to martial artists.
- Other Books on Martial Arts Stretching & Flexibility
Tai Chi Books
Tang Soo Do Books
Weapons - Books on Traditional Martial Arts Weapons
Wing Chun Books
Books on Katas, Forms, Patterns, Chuan, etc.
Books for Balance Training
Books for Female Martial Artists
Books - Martial Arts Books for Children
Poll - What is the Best Martial Arts Book?
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Welcome to all of our recent new members I want to welcome the following new members: [239660,David Byler] , [239549,Hossein] , [239548,Graeme Reay] , [239422,Nick Santa Anna] , [239394,Marcus Moore] , [239264,Paul Helton] , [239260,Simon Mackenzie] , [239205,Rock Carey Sr.] , [239198,Vicki ...
- Lee Yingarn (1of2) Old school Tai Chi. Companion to a book showing/teaching soft and hard tai chi. 😎
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi