List of Martial Arts Subjects & Categories
Black Belt Wiki covers a wide range of martial arts subjects (i.e. kicks, punches, weapons and joint locks). Each section has a huge number of videos and/or written instructions that explain the techniques associated with a particular martial arts subject. This allows martial artists to learn new techniques from different martial arts styles. If you are looking for techniques related to only a specific martial arts style, please either visit the section focused on that style (i.e. Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo or Krav Maga) or visit the main Martial Arts Styles section (which has links to all of the major and minor martial arts styles).
Can't find something? Try our wiki search engine.
For the best results, please be specific with your search (i.e. Taekwondo Pattern Do-San)
Main Martial Arts Categories - Each category below has free videos and/or written instructions
- Agility Training
- Anatomy - Bones, Hand Anatomy, Muscles, Vital Points, etc.
- Balance Exercises - This page provides information on a variety of balance exercises that are useful for martial arts training.
- Benefits of Martial Arts - Health benefits, mental benefits, practical benefits, etc.
- Blocks - This section focuses on a variety of martial arts blocking techniques.
- Blogs - Martial arts blogs from around the web. These cover a wide range of martial arts styles and subjects.
- Books - Best martial arts books. Our picks and visitor favorites.
- Breaking Techniques - This section focuses on martial arts breaking (i.e. wooden boards and concrete blocks).
- Bunkai - The practical application and analysis of kata.
- Conditioning - This section reviews exercises that can improve your martial arts strength and conditioning.
- Diet - Diet & nutritional information for martial artists.
- Elbow Strikes
- Grappling - Submissions, Escapes, Sweeps, etc.
- How To Tie Your Martial Arts Belt
- Instructor Tips - This section focuses on tips and training ideas for martial arts instructors.
- Instructional Videos - As a service to our visitors, we are offering free online martial arts instructional videos from Amazon. These videos teach katas, self-defense, kicks, flexibility and much more.
- Jobs - This section will help to find a martial arts job (i.e. Karate instructor) or a career in the martial arts industry.
- Joint Locks
- Katas, Forms, Patterns & Poomse - Videos and written step-by-step instructions for various katas and forms (i.e. Karate, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, etc.)
- Kicking Techniques - Learn how to do a huge variety of martial arts kicks (i.e. back kicks, spinning hook kicks, butterfly kicks, etc.)
- Languages - Learn common phrases (i.e. hello and thank you) in Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Russian, etc. to use at your martial arts class.
- Movies - Here is a list of the best martial arts movies ever made (i.e. Enter the Dragon). For all of the martial arts movie addicts!
- Movie Comedies - List of the best martial arts movie comedies.
- Martial Arts Movie Stars - Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, etc.
- Message Board - Post questions for the wiki community or answer the questions of beginners. However, only wiki members can post on this message board.
- News - Interesting and/or entertaining martial arts news articles from around the web.
- Newsletter - Join our wiki email newsletter for wiki updates, martial arts tips & more.
- Olympics & Martial Arts
- Online Martial Arts Videos - Online instructional videos. Free if you are an Amazon Prime member.
- Plyometrics Training - Exercises that build "explosive power" for martial arts kicks and punches.
- Polls - Answer martial arts questions & important issues. See how others have answered these polls.
- Power - Kicking Power, Punching Power, etc.
- Punches & Strikes
- Quiz - Take these martial arts quizzes and test your knowledge of your favorite martial arts.
- Rewards for Best Wiki Contributors - Once per quarter, we will reward the top three wiki contributors. They will win martial arts prizes.
- Safety - Safety tips for martial arts students and instructors.
- School Directory - Members add your school to this directory. Help potential students find your school.
- School Reviews & Maps - This section will help you to find the best martial arts schools in your local area.
- School Tips - How To Find A Good Martial Arts School
- Seniors & Middle Aged Adults - Tips for middle-aged adults and seniors who are thinking of beginning martial arts training.
- Speed Training - This section will help you to achieve faster kicks and punches.
- Strength Training - This section will help you to achieve stronger and more powerful kicks and punches.
- Stretching - This stretching section provides instructions for a huge number of martial arts stretches that will help your overall flexibility.
- Styles & Systems - This section covers major martial arts such as Karate, Taekwondo and Kung Fu as well as less well-known martial arts such as Systema, Pankration and KAPAP.
- Technique of the Month - A summary of our past "Technique of the Month" emails. Vote on them!
- Training Equipment - How to use martial arts training equipment such as focus mitts, kicking shields and even Wing Chun wooden striking dummies.
- Martial Arts TV Shows & Cartoons
- Vacations - This section looks at martial arts vacation and tourism destinations such as the Shaolin Temple in China, Bruce Lee's grave site in the United States, Taekwondo training centers in Korea, etc.
- Vital Points - This section explores self-defense targets (i.e. groin attacks).
- Warm-Up Exercises
- Weapons - Information and training techniques for traditional martial arts weapons such as bo staffs, nunchaku, tonfa, sai, etc.
- Women's Self-Defense
- Yoga for Martial Arts - Yoga for improved martial arts flexibility.
Sign up for our free wiki newsletter. We promise to send only 1 or 2 email newsletters per month.
Wiki Updates & News
Wiki members can post questions & suggestions on the Wiki Message Board.
- 04/20/15 - We are reopening the Wiki Message Board so that members can discuss techniques, etc. However, only members can view this message board. So if you want to participate, please become a wiki member. You can even win prizes for posting lots of interesting/useful comments on this forum.
- 04/15/15 - Andy has been on a tear over the past few days. He has added a ton of great information to a wide variety of martial arts weapons-related pages such as the Tanto, Nunchakujutsu, Wakazashi, Bokken, etc.
- 04/09/15 - Our thanks to Chris who has been adding much needed anatomical data (i.e. areas to strike or protect on the human body) to a variety of pages such as Anatomy and Bones & the Martial Arts.
- 04/09/15 - We have added the four finger poke and two finger poke to the main punches & hand strikes section. Of course, we had to add a Three Stooges clip to the two fingers page. :)
- 04/08/15 - Nathan has started to add some instructions for Bruce Lee's famous Wing Chun One Inch Punch. If there are any Wing Chun students who would like to help, we would love to get your perspective & tips on this punch.
- 04/08/15 - We are still working on the Marine Corps Martial Arts section. We hope to have all of the instructions for the tan belt techniques (i.e. Leg Sweep) finished in the next week or two.
- 04/07/15 - Since people liked last month's addition of sections focused on the foreign language names of body parts (i.e. Karate - Names of Body Parts), we are adding a few more similar pages… such as Kung Fu - Names of Body Parts (Mandarin). We hope to get up a Cantonese version by this weekend. If you are a master of the Chinese language, please feel free to add to these pages.
Before You Leave… Please Become A Wiki Member!
Help others learn about techniques, different martial arts styles & sports fitness (i.e. strength training). Or contact us if you think something is missing or should be added to the wiki. Or add us to your favorites list!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.