List of Martial Arts Subjects & Categories
Black Belt Wiki covers a wide range of martial arts subjects (i.e. kicks, punches, weapons and joint locks). Each section has a huge number of videos and/or written instructions that explain the techniques associated with a particular martial arts subject. This allows martial artists to learn new techniques from different martial arts styles. If you are looking for techniques related to only a specific martial arts style, please either visit the section focused on that style (i.e. Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo or Krav Maga) or visit the main Martial Arts Styles section (which has links to all of the major and minor martial arts styles).
Can't find something? Try our wiki search engine.
For the best results, please be specific with your search (i.e. Taekwondo Pattern Do-San)
Main Martial Arts Categories - Each category below has free videos and/or written instructions
- Agility Training
- Anatomy - Bones, Hand Anatomy, Muscles, Vital Points, etc.
- Associations & Federations
- Audio Books (Free Martial Arts Audio Books) - The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, etc.
- Balance Exercises - This page provides information on a variety of balance exercises that are useful for martial arts training.
- Benefits of Martial Arts - Health benefits, mental benefits, practical benefits, etc.
- Blocks - This section focuses on a variety of martial arts blocking techniques.
- Blog Directory - Martial arts blogs from around the web. These blogs cover a wide range of martial arts styles and subjects.
- Books - Best martial arts books. Our picks and visitor favorites.
- Breaking Techniques - This section focuses on martial arts breaking (i.e. wooden boards and concrete blocks).
- Bunkai - The practical application and analysis of kata.
- Children and Martial Arts - Tips for martial arts instructors when dealing with young students.
- Community - Come join our new martial arts social network, the Black Belt Wiki Community. This free site allows you to discuss kata & techniques and meet & learn from many other martial artists.
- Community FAQ - Answers to frequent questions about the Black Belt Wiki Community section.
- Conditioning - This section reviews exercises that can improve your martial arts strength and conditioning.
- Diet - Diet & nutritional information for martial artists.
- Demonstration Techniques
- Elbow Strikes
- Flexibility - How to improve your flexibility and achieve higher kicks.
- Grappling - Submissions, Escapes, Sweeps, etc.
- How To Clean Your Martial Arts Gear - Martial Arts Mat, Mouth Guard
- How To Tie Your Martial Arts Belt
- Instructional Videos - As a service to our visitors, we are offering free online martial arts instructional videos from Amazon. These videos teach katas, self-defense, kicks, flexibility and much more.
- Instructors & School Owners - This section focuses on tips and training ideas for martial arts instructors and owners of martial arts schools.
- Jobs - This section will help to find a martial arts job (i.e. Karate instructor) or a career in the martial arts industry.
- Joint Locks - Joint locks such as elbow locks, wrist locks, ankle locks, etc.
- Katas, Forms, Patterns & Poomse - Videos and written step-by-step instructions for various katas and forms (i.e. Karate, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, etc.)
- Kicking Techniques - Learn how to do a huge variety of martial arts kicks (i.e. back kicks, spinning hook kicks, butterfly kicks, etc.)
- Knee Strikes
- Languages - Learn common phrases (i.e. hello and thank you) in Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Russian, etc. to use at your martial arts class.
- Movies - Here is a list of the best martial arts movies ever made (i.e. Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon). For all of the martial arts movie addicts!
- Movie Comedies - List of the best martial arts movie comedies.
- Martial Arts Movie Stars - Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, etc.
- Martial Arts Store - Our online martial arts store. It helps to keep this wiki free for all visitors.
- News - Interesting and/or entertaining martial arts news articles from around the web.
- Newsletter - Join our wiki email newsletter for wiki updates, martial arts tips & more.
- Olympics & Martial Arts
- Online Instructional Videos - Online instructional videos. Free if you are an Amazon Prime member.
- Parties - Ideas for throwing your own martial arts-themed parties and birthdays.
- Philosophy - Key martial arts philosophies & concepts.
- Physical Fitness - This section covers all aspects of martial arts physical fitness such as stretching, strength training, etc.
- Plyometrics Training - Exercises that build "explosive power" for martial arts kicks and punches.
- Polls - Answer martial arts questions & important issues. See how others have answered these polls.
- Power - Kicking Power, Punching Power, etc.
- Pressure Points - Information regarding the use of pressure points in martial arts training.
- Punches & Strikes
- Quiz - Take these martial arts quizzes and test your knowledge of your favorite martial arts.
- Quotes - Famous martial arts quotes from people such as Bruce Lee, Musashi, Sun Tzu, etc.
- Rewards for Best Wiki Contributors - Once per quarter, we will reward the top three wiki contributors. They will win martial arts prizes.
- Safety - Safety tips for martial arts students and instructors.
- School Directory - Members add your school to this directory. Help potential students find your school.
- School Reviews & Maps - This section will help you to find the best martial arts schools in your local area.
- School Tips - How To Find A Good Martial Arts School
- Middle Aged Adults & Martial Arts - Tips for middle-aged adults and seniors who are thinking of beginning martial arts training.
- Sparring & Kumite
- Speed Training - This section will help you to achieve faster kicks and punches.
- Store - Visit our main wiki store for martial arts books, DVDs, shoes, uniforms, etc.
- Strategy - The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, etc.
- Strength Training - This section will help you to achieve stronger and more powerful kicks and punches.
- Stretching - This stretching section provides instructions for a huge number of martial arts stretches that will help your overall flexibility.
- Styles & Systems - This section covers major martial arts such as Karate, Taekwondo and Kung Fu as well as less well-known martial arts such as Systema, Pankration and KAPAP.
- Technique of the Month - A summary of our past "Technique of the Month" emails. Vote on them!
- Terminology - Terminology such as martial arts terms, commands & numbers
- Training Equipment - How to use martial arts training equipment such as focus mitts, kicking shields and even Wing Chun wooden striking dummies.
- Martial Arts TV Shows & Cartoons
- Vacations - This section looks at martial arts vacation and tourism destinations such as the Shaolin Temple in China, Bruce Lee's grave site in the United States, Taekwondo training centers in Korea, etc.
- Vital Points - This section explores self-defense targets (i.e. groin attacks).
- Warm-Up Exercises
- Weapons - Information and training techniques for traditional martial arts weapons such as bo staffs, nunchaku, tonfa, sai, etc.
- Weapon-Based Martial Arts Styles
- Weapons - Defenses Against An Attacker With A Weapon
- Weapons - Katas - Katas & forms that use martial arts weapons (i.e. bo kata).
- Weapons - Techniques & Instruction - Bo staff techniques, Cane Self-Defense Techniques, Nunchaku Techniques, Sai Techniques, etc.
- Women - Self-Defense
- Yoga for Martial Arts - Yoga for improved martial arts flexibility.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
- What type of Karate sparring should be in the 2020 Olympics? As you know, Karate kumite (sparring) will be in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Should it be no contact, point sparring or full contact? I have added a poll to the wiki that allows you to vote on this question - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/what-type-of-ka...
- Invite your friends to join the Wiki Community Help this community to grow by inviting your friends to join. More members means more martial arts discussions, more knowledge and more people to laugh (or is that groan) at [171807,Andy] 's and [212770,Al W] 's jokes. :) Here is the "join" link - htt...
- Children & Kata If kids at your school are having trouble with kata, you should show them this video. This little girl is amazing - such focus and intensity. Hopefully, your students can learn from her. Will Black Belt Wiki
- UFC clone but with martial arts weapons Looks like someone is developing a UFC-like organization but the fighters would be fully armored and use martial arts weapons. Interesting idea but I think people like seeing the blood in UFC fights versus guys in padded suits taking tons of hits tha...
- Help tracing kanji for kata In my spare time (laughing!!) I have started taking sho-do classes. This is partly to understand more kanji when I see it and help with Japanese in general and partly to help with a larger project I am doing to preserve the history of our style. Anyway...
- Are martial arts movies good or bad for martial arts? Did you get sucked into martial arts after you had seen Bruce Lee fight his way upstairs the pagoda in “Game of Death”? Good, and you are certainly not the only one! But are martial arts movies actually good or bad for martial arts? Martial arts movies...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Members of the wiki community can ask questions and discuss martial arts techniques, kata, etc.
Join the Wiki Community