How To Make A Martial Arts Student Manual
This section reviews the essentials needed for a good martial arts student manual. Martial arts schools and clubs should consider these areas when designing a new manual or updating their existing martial arts school manual. For additional information on running a martial arts school, please visit the section on Tips for Martial Arts Instructors.
Recommended Sections for Martial Arts Manuals
- Introduction - This should be a brief section that introduces students to your school and style.
- Style Characteristics - What makes your style and school unique versus other martial arts.
- History - This section should review the origin of your martial arts style, the founders, etc.
- Benefits - This section should review the benefits of martial arts training for students and parents.
- Dojo Etiquette - This section should review how students should behave in the dojo, rules & regulations, punishment for infractions, dress code, etc.
- Belt Requirements - This section should tell students what they will need to know in order to pass a belt test. For example, for the yellow belt test, a student will need to know XYZ kicks, ABC punches, Kata 1 & 2, ten Japanese words, etc.
- Techniques - This section can review or expand upon kata, kicks, strikes, self-defense, etc.
- Sparring - This section should review your schools's sparring rules and regulations, explain how points are awarded, etc.
- Philosophy & Mottoes - This section should review the key philosophies and concepts practiced by your martial arts style.
- Terminology - This section should review basic foreign words and numbers used at your school.
- Glossary - This should review key English-language words (i.e. commands, names of training equipment, etc.) used at your school.
- Additional Resources - This section should point students to online sources or books that can supplement the material in the manual. Online sources (such as Black Belt Wiki) are useful for videos of katas, advanced kicks, etc.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Bruce Lee's letters CBS did a recent show focusing on the philosophical commentary in Bruce Lee's letters. It also semi-looks at his daughter's role in Bruce Lee's archives & maintaining his legacy. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi