Famous Martial Arts Quotes
This page focuses on famous martial arts quotes from Bruce Lee, Miyamoto Musashi, Mas Oyama, Sun Tzu and many others. These martial arts quotes often provide useful information about martial arts strategy, training, philosophy, etc. We have also added a section focused on entertaining martial arts movie quotes at the bottom of the page.
You can also visit our page on Famous Karate Quotes for additional classic sayings from the founders & students of various Karate styles (i.e. Shotokan & Kyokushin).
If you want to add a quote to this list, please post your suggestion on the what is your favorite martial arts quote or famous Karate quotes sections of the wiki community.
Books on Martial Arts Philosophy
Martial Arts Quotes - Strategy, Training, Philosophy, etc.
Bruce Lee Quotes - Famous martial artist & movie star
- Bruce Lee - Use only that which works and take it from any place you can find it.
- Bruce Lee - I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
- Bruce Lee - Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is specifically your own.
- Bruce Lee - Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.
- Bruce Lee - All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
- Bruce Lee - Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it.
- Bruce Lee - Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.
- Bruce Lee - There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
- Bruce Lee - Boards don’t hit back.
- Bruce Lee - Everything you do, if not in a relaxed state will be done at a lesser level than you are proficient. Thus the tensed expert marksman will aim at a level less than his/her student.
Confucius Quotes - Famous Chinese philosopher
- A favorite Aikido saying - “The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.”
Miyamoto Musashi Quotes - Probably the most famous Japanese swordsman.
- Miyamoto Musashi - The primary thing when you take a sword in your hands is your intention to cut the enemy, whatever the means. Whenever you parry, hit, spring, strike or touch the enemy's cutting sword, you must cut the enemy in the same movement. It is essential to attain this. If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him.
- Miyamoto Musashi - The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them
Mas Oyama Quotes - Founder of Kyokushin Karate
- Mas Oyama - Each of us has his cowardice. Each of us is afraid to lose, afraid to die. But hanging back is the way to remain a coward for life. The Way to find courage is to seek it on the field of conflict. And the sure way to victory is willingness to risk one's own life.
- Mas Oyama - The heart of our karate is real fighting. There can be no proof without real fighting. Without proof there is no trust. Without trust there is no respect. This is a definition in the world of martial arts.
Sun Tzu Quotes - Famous Chinese strategist.
- Sun Tzu - Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.
- Sun Tzu - If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu - All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
- Sun Tzu - To know your enemy, you must become your enemy.
Entertaining & Memorable Martial Arts Movie Quotes
- Karate Kid - Wax on… wax off. Wax on… wax off.
- Karate Kid - Look eye! Always look eye!
- Karate Kid 2 - Hey can you break a log like that? Don't know. Never been attacked by tree.
- Karate Kid 2 - Remember best block, no be there.
- Kung Fu Panda - The Wuxi finger hold! Oh, you know this hold? You're bluffing. You're bluffing! Shifu didn't teach you that. Nope. I figured it out. Skadoosh!
- Kung Fu Panda - You can't defeat me! You're just a big fat panda! I'm not a big fat panda. I'm THE big fat panda.
- Kung Fu Panda - Ah. My old enemy… stairs!
Latest Pages Added to Wiki
Popular Community Posts
Latest Posts Added to Community
- Escrima "on the rocks" a clip of some fun stick work with one of my students last week blocking close quarter butting strikes while using footwork on the rocks by the shallows of the beach gonna take some more environmental training videos here in the next few weeks
- What is the biggest downside of martial arts training? How would you answer a potential student if they asked "What is the biggest downside of martial arts training"? I know that we all love martial arts training... but please do not give any answers like there are no downsides, etc. Try to point out some...
- Introduction Hello Everyone. Its good to see martial artist forum like this. i would like to really interact with you all and share anything of good use .
- Tournament Results I asked about special tournament training and got some good answers. Well the results from the tournament I did over the weekend. I got 2nd place in both Blocker Sparring and Grappling. In grappling there was only me and one other competitor who hap...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi