List of Martial Arts Weapon Katas
This section provides details on katas that use traditional martial arts weapons such as the Bo (Bo staff), Nunchaku (Nunchucks), Sai, Kama and Tonfa. Weapons katas are used to teach a set pattern of techniques so martial arts students can practice offensive and defensive techniques. These katas are usually performed by a single individual.
Weapons katas or kobudo katas are used by many different styles of Karate such as Shorin-Ryu, Shotokan and Chito-Ryu. Moreover, weapons katas are also used by other Japanese martial arts such as Aikido. Traditional Japanese weapons katas usually use Okinawan Kobudo weapons. However, even though some katas might have the same name, they could use different kata techniques and movements based on the style of martial arts performing the kata. Check with your instructor.
For unarmed (non-weapon) katas, please visit the main Katas & Forms section.
Weapons Katas by Martial Arts Style
Aikido - Jo Katas
Karate - Chito-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Gensei-Ryu Weapon Katas
- Bojutsu Kihon Kata
- Nunchaku Kihon Kata
- Bojutsu Kumite Kata
- Nunchaku Kumite Kata
Karate - Isshin-Ryu Kobudo Weapons Katas
Karate - Ryu Kon Kai Weapons Katas
Karate - Shorin-Ryu Weapons Katas
- Shiromatsu No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Shirataro No Kon (Bo kata)
- Sakugawa No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shushi No Kon or Shusi No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Choun No Kun (Bo kata)
- Kishaba No Kama (Kama kata)
- Maezato No Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Nunchaku Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Chomo Hanagusku No Sai (Sai kata)
- Kyan No Sai (Sai kata)
- Tonfa No Kata (Tonfa kata)
Karate - Shotokan Weapons Katas
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Sho (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Sho (Bo kata)
Karate - Shudokan Weapons Katas
Karate - Shuri-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Uechi-Ryu Weapons Kata
Karate - World Oyama Karate Weapons Katas
Weapons Katas by Weapons Type
- Aikido Jo Katas
- Arakaki No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Sho
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Dai
Surujin (or Suruchin) Katas
- Surujin No Kata (or Suruchin No Kata)
Tinbe Rochin (Shield & Short Spear) Katas
- World Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-Do Federation, The Kobudo of Matsubayashi-ryu, http://www.matsubayashi-ryu.com/content/kobudo-matsubayashi-ryu, Added - 10/20/13
- Isshin-Ryu World Karate Association, Kata, http://www.isshinryukarate.com/, Added - 03/10/14
- Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan Honbu, Matayoshi Kobudo Weapons, http://www.matayoshikobudokodokan.com/Weapons/WeaponsIndex.htm, Added - 8/25/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Moderation I am sorry that (for the first time) I felt the need to get all moderatory :) Unlike (a certain member) I do not feel the need to continually brag or boast (or lie) about my rank or experience, rather I would hope that my words on this community and my...
- Holding back. This week i sparred a vastly imferior fighter. The whole point was to get him ready for his first fight. He will in my opinion not win. I held back on every strike because even out of shape i am faster and more acurate/powerful than he is. Or so i tho...
- Inspiring people I am starting to decorate my garage and I like the look tons of pics on the wall. So I am reaching out to all of you for people to put on my wall. I am looking for people that have faced diversity or over came something in the fighting arts. Looking fo...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi