List of Martial Arts Weapon Katas
This section will help to learn katas that use traditional martial arts weapons such as the Bo (Bo staff), Nunchaku (nunchucks), Sai, Kama and Tonfa. Weapons katas are used to teach a set pattern of techniques so martial arts students can practice offensive and defensive techniques. These katas are usually performed by a single individual.
Weapons katas or kobudo katas are used by many different styles of Karate such as Shorin-Ryu, Shotokan and Chito-Ryu. Moreover, weapons katas are also used by other Japanese martial arts such as Aikido. Traditional Japanese weapons katas usually use Okinawan Kobudo weapons. However, even though some katas might have the same name, they could use different kata techniques and movements based on the style of martial arts performing the kata. Check with your instructor.
For unarmed (non-weapon) katas, please visit the main Katas & Forms section.
Weapons Katas by Martial Arts Style
Aikido - Jo Katas
Karate - Chito-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Gensei-Ryu Weapon Katas
- Bojutsu Kihon Kata
- Nunchaku Kihon Kata
- Bojutsu Kumite Kata
- Nunchaku Kumite Kata
Karate - Isshin-Ryu Kobudo Weapons Katas
Karate - Ryu Kon Kai Weapons Katas
Karate - Shorin-Ryu Weapons Katas
- Shiromatsu No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Shirataro No Kon (Bo kata)
- Sakugawa No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shushi No Kon or Shusi No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Choun No Kun (Bo kata)
- Kishaba No Kama (Kama kata)
- Maezato No Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Nunchaku Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Chomo Hanagusku No Sai (Sai kata)
- Kyan No Sai (Sai kata)
- Tonfa No Kata (Tonfa kata)
Karate - Shotokan Weapons Katas
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Sho (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Sho (Bo kata)
Karate - Shudokan Weapons Katas
Karate - Shuri-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Uechi-Ryu Weapons Kata
Karate - World Oyama Karate Weapons Katas
Weapons Katas by Weapons Type
- Aikido Jo Katas
- Arakaki No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Sho
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Dai
Surujin (or Suruchin) Katas
- Surujin No Kata (or Suruchin No Kata)
Tinbe Rochin (Shield & Short Spear) Katas
- World Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-Do Federation, The Kobudo of Matsubayashi-ryu, http://www.matsubayashi-ryu.com/content/kobudo-matsubayashi-ryu, Added - 10/20/13
- Isshin-Ryu World Karate Association, Kata, http://www.isshinryukarate.com/, Added - 03/10/14
- Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan Honbu, Matayoshi Kobudo Weapons, http://www.matayoshikobudokodokan.com/Weapons/WeaponsIndex.htm, Added - 8/25/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
- New Shodan!!! Hello BBW community, I would just like to let you know that I passed my shodan test last night. I will try to get a pic or two up. I made mistakes but they just made me more focused when they happened. As some may have read my last post, the political...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Party Ideas
- Rash Guards
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews