List of Martial Arts Weapon Katas
This section will help to learn katas that use traditional martial arts weapons such as the Bo (Bo staff), Nunchaku (nunchucks), Sai, Kama and Tonfa. Weapons katas are used to teach a set pattern of techniques so martial arts students can practice offensive and defensive techniques. These katas are usually performed by a single individual.
Weapons katas or kobudo katas are used by many different styles of Karate such as Shorin-Ryu, Shotokan and Chito-Ryu. Moreover, weapons katas are also used by other Japanese martial arts such as Aikido. Traditional Japanese weapons katas usually use Okinawan Kobudo weapons. However, even though some katas might have the same name, they could use different kata techniques and movements based on the style of martial arts performing the kata. Check with your instructor.
For unarmed (non-weapon) katas, please visit the main Katas & Forms section.
Weapons Katas by Martial Arts Style
Aikido - Jo Katas
Karate - Chito-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Gensei-Ryu Weapon Katas
- Bojutsu Kihon Kata
- Nunchaku Kihon Kata
- Bojutsu Kumite Kata
- Nunchaku Kumite Kata
Karate - Isshin-Ryu Kobudo Weapons Katas
Karate - Ryu Kon Kai Weapons Katas
Karate - Shorin-Ryu Weapons Katas
- Shiromatsu No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Shirataro No Kon (Bo kata)
- Sakugawa No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shushi No Kon or Shusi No Kon (Bo kata)
- Shorin-Ryu Kata - Choun No Kun (Bo kata)
- Kishaba No Kama (Kama kata)
- Maezato No Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Nunchaku Sho (Nunchaku kata)
- Chomo Hanagusku No Sai (Sai kata)
- Kyan No Sai (Sai kata)
- Tonfa No Kata (Tonfa kata)
Karate - Shotokan Weapons Katas
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Kanazawa No Bo Sho (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Dai (Bo kata)
- Shotokan Kata - Shushi No Kon Sho (Bo kata)
Karate - Shudokan Weapons Katas
Karate - Shuri-Ryu Weapons Katas
Karate - Uechi-Ryu Weapons Kata
Karate - World Oyama Karate Weapons Katas
Weapons Katas by Weapons Type
- Aikido Jo Katas
- Arakaki No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Sho
- Nobori-Ryu No Jo Dai
Surujin (or Suruchin) Katas
- Surujin No Kata (or Suruchin No Kata)
Tinbe Rochin (Shield & Short Spear) Katas
- World Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-Do Federation, The Kobudo of Matsubayashi-ryu, http://www.matsubayashi-ryu.com/content/kobudo-matsubayashi-ryu, Added - 10/20/13
- Isshin-Ryu World Karate Association, Kata, http://www.isshinryukarate.com/, Added - 03/10/14
- Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan Honbu, Matayoshi Kobudo Weapons, http://www.matayoshikobudokodokan.com/Weapons/WeaponsIndex.htm, Added - 8/25/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- What are your Hidden Mysteries that dictate life balance ? There are inside and outside perspectives from every karate-ka and at every level. Providing a balanced perspective is the aim of success, but there is so much misinformation out there, that interested lay people and curious practioners might not be a...
- New Developments for "Not WIthout a Fight" I am very happy to be working with David Kahn https://www.israelikrav.com/ who is not only a historian but the US Chief Instructor for Israeli Krav Maga. As I have mentioned before, "Not Without a Fight" is a novel based on a true story about a Jewish...
- How to Learn Martial Arts from a Video It is quite a coincidence that the worth of MA videos has recently been a topic here. Sensei Ando just released this video which right off the bat states that you need an instructor. Nonetheless, he gives some tips on how to get the best out of what ...
- Contraversial Ok everyone here I go! At some point and time, I would like to think that we have watch a MMA or a UFC fight. Yes? No? Anyway, what do you think as far as technique striking (hands only), choking, takedowns, kicking goes good? bad? or indifferent? ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics