Meaning of ITF Taekwondo Patterns
This page will help you to learn the meaning of each ITF Taekwondo pattern (i.e. Chon-Ji). Many ITF Taekwondo schools require their students to know the meaning of each ITF pattern in order to pass their Taekwondo belt tests. For videos and instructions on how to perform these ITF patterns, please visit the main ITF Taekwondo patterns section.
Section supported by Taekwondo books
ITF Pattern Meanings - Click on the links below to watch videos of these ITF patterns.
- Chon-Ji - Chon-Ji is named after "Heaven & Earth". In Asia, this means in the beginning of the world or in the beginning of recorded history… and thus the Chon-Ji pattern is the initial pattern learned.
- Dan-Gun - Dan-Gun is named after Dan-Gun, the legendary founder of Korea (in 2,333 BC).
- Do-San - Do-San is named after the alias for the Korean patriot, Ahn Chang-Ho (1876-1938).
- Won-Hyo - Won-Hyo is named after Won-Hyo, a monk who introduced Buddhism to Korea (Silla Dynasty) in 686 AD.
- Yul-Gok - Yul-Gok is named after the pseudonym for the philosopher, Yi I, who has been nicknamed the Confucius of Korea (1536-1584 AD).
- Joong-Gun - Joong-Gun is named after Ahn Joong-Gun, a Korean patriot who assassinated the first Japanese governor-general of Korea (Hiro Bumi Ito).
- Toi-Gye - Toi-Gye is named after the pseudonym for a famous neo-Confucius scholar, Yi Hwang.
- Hwa-Rang - Hwa-Rang is named after the Hwa-Rang Youth Group, an elite youth group during the Silla Dynasty.
- Choong-Moo - Choong-Moo is named after the posthumous title for Yi Sun-sin, a famous Korean admiral of the Yi Dynasty. He is also known for the Korean "turtle" ship.
- Kwang-Gae - Kwang-Gae is named after Kwang-Gae Toh-Wang (also known as Gwanggaeto), a famous king from the Goguryeo Dynasty. Kwang-Gae Toh-Wang conquered much of northern Asia in the late third and early fourth century.
- Po Eun - Po Eun is named after the pseudonym for a famous neo-Confucius scholar, Jeong Mongju, who lived in the Goryeo Dynasty.
- Gae-Baek - Gae-Baek is named after Gae-Baek, a famous general from the Baek Je Dynasty (660 AD).
- Eui-Am - Eui-Am is named after the pseudonym of Son Byong Hi, leader of the Korean independence movement in 1919.
- Choong-Jang - Choong-Jang is named after the pseudonym given to General Kim Duk Ryang who lived during the 14th century Lee dynasty.
- Juche - Juche is the idea that man is the master of his own destiny. This idea is associated with the Korea's Baekdu mountain which in turn symbolizes the spirit of the Korean people.
- Sam-Il - Sam-Il signifies the date of the independence movement of Korea (against Japan) which began on March 1, 1919.
- Yoo-Sin - Yoo-Sin is named after General Kim Yoo Sin, a commanding general during the Silla Dynasty.
- Choi-Yong - Choi-Yong is named after General Choi Yong. He was the premier and commander in chief of the armed forces during the 14th century Koryo dynasty.
- Yong-Gae - Yong-Ge is named after Yon Gae Somoon, a famous general during the Koguryo dynasty.
- Ul-Ji - Ul-Ji is named after Ul-Ji Moon Dok, a famous general from the 6th century. Ul-Ji Moon Dok successfully defended Korea against a Tang (Chinese) invasion force of nearly one million soldiers by employing hit and run guerrilla tactics.
- Moon-Moo - Moon-Moo is named after Moon-Moo who was the 30th king of the Silla dynasty.
- So-San - So-San is named after the pseudonym for Choi Hyong Ung, who was a monk during the Lee dynasty. Choi Hyong Ung is famous for leading monks against Japanese pirates in the late 1500s.
- Se-Jong - Se-Jong is named after the Korean king, Se-Jong. This famous king invented the Korean alphabet in 1443.
- Tong-Il - Tong-Il means unification. This pattern symbolizes the hope for an eventual reunification of Korea (which was divided into North and South Korea in 1945).
- Taekwondo Animals.com, ITF Taekwondo Pattern & Form Meanings, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-ITF-Pattern-Meaning.asp
- GTUK Global Taekwon-Do, Patterns of Taekwon-Do, http://www.gt-uk.net/tkd-patterns.php
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi