Meaning of Shotokan Karate Kata
This page looks at the meaning behind each Shotokan Karate kata. Knowledge of these kata meanings are often part of Shotokan belt tests. Be aware that the order of these kata can vary from school to school. Please check with your Sensei for the proper kata sequence taught at your school. If you are looking for videos and/or written instructions for these kata (i.e. to prepare for a belt test), please visit the main Shotokan Karate Katas section.
Section supported by Shotokan Books
Shotokan Karate Kata Meanings - Click on the kata in order to view kata videos, etc.
- Heian Shodan – Peaceful mind, Level 1
- Heian Nidan – Peaceful mind, Level 2
- Heian Sandan – Peaceful mind, Level 3
- Heian Yondan – Peaceful mind, Level 4
- Heian Godan – Peaceful mind, Level 5
- Tekki Shodan – Iron horse or horse riding, Level 1. Named because the kata uses the Kiba Dachi or Horse Stance.
- Tekki Nidan – Iron horse or horse riding, Level 2. Named because the kata uses the Kiba Dachi or Horse Stance.
- Tekki Sandan – Iron horse or horse riding, Level 3. Named because the kata uses the Kiba Dachi or Horse Stance.
- Bassai Dai - To storm a fortress or castle, Big (dai)
- Bassai Sho - To storm a fortress or castle, Small (sho)
- Kanku Dai - To look at or watch the sky, Big (dai)
- Kanku Sho - To look at or watch the sky, Small (sho)
- Enpi - Flying swallow
- Jion - Love and goodness, mercy, etc. Named after the Jion temple in China.
- Gankaku - Crane on rock
- Hangetsu - Half moon
- Jitte - Ten hands
- Chinte - Amazing or incredible hands
- Sochin - To maintain or preserve peace
- Meikyo - Bright mirror, mirror of the soul, etc.
- Jiin - Love of truth, inverted mercy, etc. Thought to be one of the Jion temple-based kata.
- Gojushiho Dai - 54 steps, Big (dai)
- Gojushiho Sho - 54 steps, Small (sho)
- Nijushiho - 24 steps
- Wankan - Emperor's crown, king's crown, etc.
- Unsu - Cloud hands, hands in the cloud, etc.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Inspiring people I am starting to decorate my garage and I like the look tons of pics on the wall. So I am reaching out to all of you for people to put on my wall. I am looking for people that have faced diversity or over came something in the fighting arts. Looking fo...
- How to use a chair to practice high kicks Since we have been talking about Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's amazing flexibility and kicking prowess, I thought you would like to watch this Youtube video. It is a tutorial by Bill Wallace on how to use a chair to practice high kicks. Will Black Belt W...
- Black Belt Genie Let's say that one day you discover a Magic Lamp and out pops a Genie who will grant you 1 wish. The wish he'll grant you is to make you an expert in the Martial Art of your choice. You'd have all the knowledge and skill associated with this art as if ...
- Karate Kakie practice I was curious how many of my fellow karateka here practice kakie it is a series of "pushing hands" drills - which accept and flow off of an opponents incoming momentum as well as how to effectively push an opponent It is sometimes also described as ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi