Learn about Muay Boran - Thai Martial Arts Style
Muay Boran (or "Ancient Boxing") is a Thai martial arts that focuses on techniques such as kicks, punches, elbow strikes, knee strikes, grappling and headbutts.
It is seen as the predecessor to Muay Thai. According to Muay Boran NYC, Muay Boran "is the original, traditional form of Muay Thai" prior to Muay Thai's "transformation in the early 1900′s into a modern ring sport, with rules, weight divisions, etc.… influenced in part by modern western boxing".
Many Muay Boran students believe that Muay Boran is geared more towards self-defense than Muay Thai. According to Muay Boran NYC, "Muay Boran fighters learn to strike all parts of the opponent’s body, including grappling, throwing to the ground, gripping and twisting the opponent’s limbs to break or damage joints."
This martial arts has become popular recently due to the Ong Bak, a martial arts movie starring Tony Jaa.
Demonstration Video of Muay Boran Techniques
- Muay Boran NYC, History, http://muayborannyc.com/history/, Added - 08/14/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Parties - Martial Arts-Themed Party Items
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews