Instructions for the Shotokan Cat Stance or Neko Ashi Dachi
This page provides details on how to do a Shotokan "Cat Stance". This stance is known as Neko Ashi Dachi in Japanese. This Shotokan stance is used primarily in katas. It is also used by other Karate styles (such as Wado Ryu) in katas, kihon and bunkai.
For additional stance information, please visit the main Shotokan Stances section.
Instructional Video for a Shotokan Cat Stance or Neko Ashi Dachi
Written Instructions for Stance
This is very similarly in Wado Ryu and Shotokan, the weight distribution of 80% on back leg, and 20% on the front leg. The weight distribution is in this way so that you still have full movement of your front leg, so this can be twisted to deflect kicks to your legs and groin area.
- The stance itself has both legs bent
- The back leg is on a 45 degree angle
- The front foot is pointed forward
- The front foot is on just the Koshi/Ball of foot
- The back leg ankle, hip and shoulder should be in a straight line, with the knee bent to be able bob up and down freely
With the front leg, you should have movement through the hip and knee and keeping the foot in the same position. With the movement this gives you have the abillity to Parry with your leg, against kicks to the groin area and leg.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi