List of Ninjutsu Words, Terms & Commands
Here are some of the key Japanese words, commands and terminology used in Ninjutsu. This page will also help you to pronounce these Japanese terms and phrases.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Ninjutsu Terms & Commands - English to Japanese
- Back/Rear - Ushiro (sounds like Oo-she-row)
- Basic - Kihon (sounds like Key-hon)
- Belt - Obi (sounds like Oh-bee)
- Block - Uke (sounds like Oo-kay)
- Body Movement - Tai Sabaki
- Bow (i.e. to greet instructor) - Rei (sounds like Ray)
- Disappearing Techniques - Intonjutsu
- Disguise & Impersonation Techniques - Hensojutsu
- Elbow - Empi or Enpi (sounds like En-pee or Em-pee)
- Elbow Strike - Empi-Uchi (sounds like Em-pee Oo-chee)
- Entangle - Garami
- Espionage - Choho
- Falling Techniques - Ukemi Waza
- Fire - Ka
- Foot - Ashi (sounds like Ah-she)
- Form or Pattern - Kata (sounds like Ka-ta)
- Form (Kata) Technique Application - Bunkai (sounds like Boon-kay)
- Goodbye - Sayonara (sounds like Sa-yoh-na-rah)
- Hand - Te (sound like Tay)
- Head - Atama (sounds like Ah-ta-ma)
- Heel - Kakato (sounds like Ka-ka-toe)
- I (Me) - Watashi (sounds like Wa-ta-she)
- Joint Lock Techniques - Kansetsu Waza
- Kick - Geri or Keri (sounds like Geh-ree or Keh-ree)
- Knee - Hiza (sounds like He-zah)
- Knife Hand - Shuto (sounds like Shoe-toe)
- Left - Hidari (sounds like Hee-da-ree)
- Low (Level) - Gedan (sounds like Geh-dan)
- Mat (Practice/Training Mat) - Tatami (sounds like Ta-ta-me)
- Middle (Level) - Chudan (sounds like Choo-dan)
- Ninja - Shinobi
- Ninja (Female) - Kunoichi
- No - Iie (sounds like E-ay)
- Please - Dozo (sounds like Doe-zoh)
- Pressure Point Techniques - Kyusho Waza
- Punch - Tsuki or Zuki (sounds like Zoo-key)
- Right - Migi (sounds like Mee-gee)
- Sandals (Flat Bottom) - Zori
- Sandals (Elevated) - Geta
- School/Training Facility (Martial Arts) - Dojo (sounds like Doe-Joe)
- Side - Yoko (sounds like Yoh-koh)
- Socks - Tabi
- Sparring - Kumite (sounds like Coo-meh-tay)
- Stance - Dachi (sounds like Dah-chee)
- Stop - Yame (sounds like Yah-may)
- Strike - Uchi (sounds like Oo-chee)
- Sweep - Barai (sounds like Baa-rye)
- Teacher/Instructor - Sensei (sounds like Sen-say)
- Technique - Waza (sounds like Waa-Zaa)
- Thank You (Formal) - Domo Arigato (sounds like Doe-moe Ah-ree-gah-toe)
- Thank You (Informal) - Domo (sounds like Doe-moe)
- Throat - Nodo (sounds like No-doe)
- Throwing Techniques - Nage Waza
- Turn Around - Mawatte (sounds like Ma-wa-tay)
- Unarmed Combat - Taijutsu
- Upper (Level) - Jodan (sounds like Joe-dan)
- Water Training - Sui-ren
- Weapon - Buki
- Yes - Hai (sounds like Hi)
- You - Anata (sounds like Ah-na-ta)
How To Count In Japanese
- One - Ichi
- Two - Ni
- Three - San
- Four - Shi
- Five - Go
- Six - Roku
- Seven - Shichi
- Eight - Hachi
- Nine - Kyu
- Ten - Jyu
- Eleven - Jyu Ichi
- Twelve - Jyu Ni
- Thirteen - Jyu San
- Fourteen - Jyu Shi
- Fifteen - Jyu Go
- Sixteen - Jyu Roku
- Seventeen - Jyu Shichi
- Eighteen - Jyu Hachi
- Nineteen - Jyu Kyu
- Twenty - Ni Jyu
- Kashiwa Bujinkan Ninjustu, Traditional Weapons Used In Ninjutsu, http://www.kbninjutsu.com/weapons.html, Added - 05/19/14
- Ninjutsu.org.uk, The 18 Skills of the Togakure Ryu Ninja, http://www.ninjutsu.org.uk/the-18-skills-of-the-togakure-ryu-ninja.html, Added - 08/08/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Chuck Norris hears his own Chuck Norris "facts" (jokes)... You might like to watch this video as Chuck Norris reads some of the famous (infamous) internet jokes made about his legendary toughness. If you want to read some more of these jokes, please visit this community thread - http://community.blackbeltwiki...
- thoughts on Kata to practice kata Was on a FB chat and expressed my idea for my dojo I will start in the next 3 to 10 years. my idea: traditional Goju Ryu training meaning: core 12 katas only, train in the basics and physical condition, kumite, bunkai, philosophy There will be modern...
- Why The Insistent Teacher Have you experienced the instent teacher, one who shows no flecibility to the organizations structure? Have you doubted or inquired into why the teacher is so rigid. Did you expect flexibility standards in your development. What do you expect to gain i...
- Cross Roads of Martial Arts Cross Roads in martial arts comes at any time of life can be a difficult decision. How do recognize it and what do you do about it ? Does life carry on for the elderly and the disabled karate-ka. How about those who struggle with rank progression. Wh...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi