Learn about the Nunti Bo - Okinawan Kobudo Weapon
The Nunti Bo is a traditional Okinawan spear with hooks. This weapon was originally developed from a fisherman's gaffe. The modern Nunti Bo is about 5-6 feet in length with a wooden shaft and metal head. The head of the weapon is traditionally a 'Manji Sai' that is a Sai that has one side prong facing upwards and one pointing downwards in the shape of a Manji (Japanese symbol resembling the Shwazstika) and as such some Nunti Bo techniques are similar to Sai techniques. Basic techniques include blocks, thrusts, strikes and trapping techniques.
This weapon can be found in the Kubudo training (weapons training) of many different Karate styles. However, the Nunti Bo is less utilized than other better-known Kubudo weapons such as the Bo, Nunchaku, Sai, etc.
For other Okinawan weapons, please visit the main Kobudo Weapons or Martial Arts Weapons sections.
Kata Demonstration with a Nunti Bo
- Mountain Stream Budo, Kobudo, http://www.mountainstreambudo.com/kobudo.htm, Added - 08/13/14
- Jeffery's Okinawan Kenpo Karate Academy, Weapons History, http://www.jefferykenpo.com/weapons.html, Added - 08/13/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Is realistic self-defense training a contradiction in itself? There are countless providers that claim to offer realistic self-defense training. Routinely implied in in such claims is that other, more traditional schools/dojos/styles fail to address this. However, I am wondering if realistic self-defense training...
- Moderation I am sorry that (for the first time) I felt the need to get all moderatory :) Unlike (a certain member) I do not feel the need to continually brag or boast (or lie) about my rank or experience, rather I would hope that my words on this community and my...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi