Panther Strike - to the throat
Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info & help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, Yoga, etc. Meet martial artists by joining our Wiki Community.
Page Revision Date - 22 Nov 2015 21:51
Panther Strike - to the throat
This is nearly the same to the leopard punch/strike, also called a half fist or ginger root punch. The reason for using this to the throat is that it is natural instinct for a person to lower their chin/head when they see a high level strike coming their way. Making it likely that a punch to the throat is only going to result in hurting the knuckles of the hand on the chin of the opponent. But due to the softness of the throat and fair durability of the second phalangeal knuckles on the hand it makes for a great strike that can slip between the chin and collar bone to hit the throat.
Instructions for Technique
- The thumb gets tucked on the side of the hand similar to a palm heel strike
- The second and third phalange knuckles get curled to the max
- At the same time the metacarpal phalangeal knuckle (which you normally punch with) gets kept straight
- Contact of the strike is then made with the middle knuckle of the fingers
Injury: Fairly serious injury can be done to the cartilage on the front of the throat. Shock, pain, and gasping for breath are immediate results buying the defender sufficient time to handle the situation or get away. It is also possible that the bone in the throat can be knocked out of place or be broken causing serious injury to the neck so be careful when practicing with a partner.
For more strikes to this target please see the throat page
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Judo as Insurance Sometimes martial arts training is necessary so you can follow a different goal. This award winning ad was created for American Family Insurance. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Karate Nerd in Okinawa Jesse Enkamp has once again travelled to Okinawa, the Home of Karate, and this time he's taking us with him. Having watched this it makes me want to go to Okinawa and Japan even more. I have found it very informative, and entertaining. It's not all ab...
- Community "Clean Up" In about a week, I will be doing a little spring cleaning... all members who have never posted or commented on a conversation will be deleted. Also if you were an active poster but haven't posted or commented in the past year, we will also review your ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics