Instructions for the Runner's Calf Stretch or Push-Up Calf Stretch - Martial Arts Stretching Technique
This page provides details for the martial arts stretch known as the Runner's Calf Stretch. This stretch is also called the Sprinter's Calf Stretch and Push-Up Calf Stretch. This stretch is used by martial arts students in order to loosen their calf muscles (because a torn calf muscle is a common martial arts injury).
Other common calf stretches include the Dynamic Calf Stretch, Soleus Stretch, Standing Calf Stretch with Wall, Standing Gastroc Stretch and Towel Foot Stretch. All stretches should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized.
For additional martial arts stretches targeting other areas of the body, please visit the main Martial Arts Stretches or Yoga for Martial Arts sections.
Instructions - How To Do A Runner's Calf Stretch or Push-Up Calf Stretch
- In this stretch, you are doing what looks like a modified push-up. However, to get a proper calf stretch, you must keep your heel down on the ground as you lean forward.
- From a standing position, bend down and place your hands on the ground.
- You will slowly move your hands forward while leaving one foot flat on the ground.
- Put the other foot on top of the foot on the ground.
- Try to keep the heel of the foot on the ground flat (with ground). The tendency will be to lift the heel as your hands move forward.
- You should feel the stretch in your calf.
Video Instructions for the Runner's Calf Stretch
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
- New Shodan!!! Hello BBW community, I would just like to let you know that I passed my shodan test last night. I will try to get a pic or two up. I made mistakes but they just made me more focused when they happened. As some may have read my last post, the political...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Party Ideas
- Rash Guards
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews