Sanchin - Kata for Goju-Ryu Karate
This page will help you to learn Sanchin, one of the katas used in Goju-Ryu Karate. For additional Goju-Ryu Karate katas, please visit the main Goju-Ryu Katas page.
Meaning of the Sanchin kata - "Three Battles". For the meaning of other kata, please visit the section on Goju-Ryu kata meanings.
If you need other Karate information (i.e. kicks, stances and strikes), please visit the main Karate section. For other Karate katas (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Katas & Forms page.
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata - Front View
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata - Side View
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata
Written Kata Instructions
- From attention stance
- Move to Yoi stance with the feet together and hands in front left over right
- Right foot steps forward into Sanchin dachi
- The tension in the arms is released as right foot steps, they stay in contact and turn upwards with a double middle block with the right hand in front of the left
- As the arms raise crossed in front of you you breath in
- And as the blocks move out into the double block you breath out
- The left hand pulls back chamber as you breath in
- With tension in the arm it extends to a middle punch breathing out
- With tension the arm pulls in slightly as you breath in
- Then the the arm turns back to middle block breathing out
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi