Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info and help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc.
Learn Sanchin - Kata for Goju-Ryu Karate
This page will help you to learn Sanchin, one of the katas used in Goju-Ryu Karate. For additional Goju-Ryu Karate katas, please visit the main Goju-Ryu Katas page.
Meaning of the Sanchin kata - "Three Battles"
If you need other Karate information (i.e. kicks, stances and strikes), please visit the main Karate section. For other Karate katas (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Katas & Forms page.
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata - Front View
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata - Side View
YouTube Demonstration of Sanchin - Goju-Ryu Kata
Written Kata Instructions
- From attention stance
- Move to Yoi stance with the feet together and hands in front left over right
- Right foot steps forward into Sanchin dachi
- The tension in the arms is released as right foot steps, they stay in contact and turn upwards with a double middle block with the right hand in front of the left
- As the arms raise crossed in front of you you breath in
- And as the blocks move out into the double block you breath out
- The left hand pulls back chamber as you breath in
- With tension in the arm it extends to a middle punch breathing out
- With tension the arm pulls in slightly as you breath in
- Then the the arm turns back to middle block breathing out
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
- Taekwondo hurt by Olympic rules & modern sensors? This Washington Post article discusses how Taekwondo is moving away from its traditional striking expertise. The article states "Instead of aggressive fights and flurries of kicks that were staples of taekwondo just a decade ago, taekwondo matches have...
- K-Pop Martial Arts Music Video As a follow-up to our martial arts music discussion, here is a popular K-Pop martial arts music video. This is to honor of @Andy and @Christopher Adamchek ... and to make everyone else nauseous. :) Will Black Belt Wiki
- Martial Arts in Fiction This is a post for people to post their favourite pieces of Martial Arts in fiction, and by that I mean fictional martial arts, or a source that hasn't been already explored in the movies side of things. Personally a favourite of mines is the martial ...
- Martial Arts Music Does your martial arts school/instructor play music during your training? I am assuming that the vast majority of schools/instructors do not train with music... but just want to confirm. If your school does... Is it Asian-type music, Rocky-like music,...
- The best "martial arts" countries at the 2016 Olympics The 2016 Olympics has just ended and I thought it would be interesting to see which countries won the most martial arts gold medals. I have only included countries that won at least two martial arts gold medals in 2016. Russia was the biggest winner ...
- The "Screw" Hi, guys! I just thought I'd run this by you all and see if there are any questions about it! If you have any questions or suggestions about it (or if you can't use the concept after watching), PLEASE ask! I know it's polite to give praise, but it's ...
- Starting kids in martial arts. At what age are children able to start training martial arts? Personally my children have never known any other lifestyle, but I will not teach anyone under the age of 5. And often decline kids who are older based on maturity. Even though I was enco...
- Know it all kid My dojo is small and kids of all ages work together with the adults. I have an issue with one kid though and would like some help in handling him. He is one rank higher then me but has been with the dojo for a year longer. The issue is the Sensei ga...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products by Brand Name
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!