Self-Defense Against An Attacker Armed With A Weapon
This section looks at self-defense techniques that can be used against an attacker armed with a weapon (i.e. gun, knife or club). These techniques focus on disarming the opponent. However, be aware that unarmed combat against weapons (such as guns or knives) is very dangerous and should only be used as a last resort. Consider other options first (i.e. run away from danger).
According to the US Army Modern Combatives Program, the keys to a successful unarmed self-defense against an attacker armed with a weapon include "Move the body out of the line of attack of the weapon", "Control the weapon… Maintain control of the attacking arm by securing the weapon, hand, wrist, elbow, or arm by using joint locks, if possible", "Stun the attacker with an effective counterattack" and "Disarm the attacker".
Amazon Self-Defense Books
Defenses Against Baseball Bats, Clubs, etc.
- Aikido Jo Dori - Defenses against a Jo short staff but also useful against clubs, sticks, etc.
- Defense Against A Stick Or Bat - Krav Maga
- Defense Against A Low Stick Strike - Krav Maga - This is a defense against an attacker who is trying to strike your knees or legs with a stick or club.
- Defense Against A High Stick Strike - Krav Maga - This is a defense against an attacker who is trying to strike your head or upper body with a stick or club.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 1 - US Army Combatives - No. 1 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 2 - US Army Combatives - No. 2 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 3 - US Army Combatives - No. 3 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 4 - US Army Combatives - No. 4 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 5 - US Army Combatives - No. 5 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Unarmed Defense Against A Bayonet 6 - US Army Combatives - No. 6 Angle of Defense Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
Defenses Against Guns
Defenses Against Knives
Aikido Defenses Against Weapons
Cane Defenses Against Weapons
Krav Maga Defenses Against Weapons
Defense Against Aggressor With A Gun
Defense Against Aggressor With A Knife
Defense Against Aggressor With A Gun/Club/Stick/Bat
US Army Combatives - Self-Defense Techniques Against Knives
US Army Combatives - Self-Defense Techniques Against Bayonets, Baseball Bats, etc.
- Information from Public Domain Document, Combatives - FM 3-25.150 (FM 21-150), http://sill-www.army.mil/428thfa/FM%203-25.150%20%28Combatives%29.pdf, Added - 05/04/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Parties - Martial Arts-Themed Party Items
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews