Instructions for Sepai - Goju-Ryu Kata
This page will help you to learn Sepai, one of the katas used in Goju-Ryu Karate. This Goju-Ryu kata is also known as Seipai, Saipai, etc. The meaning of the Sepai kata is "Eighteen Hands".
Written kata instructions are located at the bottom of this page. These instructions will help you to prepare for your Karate belt tests. To watch bunkai for Sepai kata, please visit the Goju-Ryu Bunkai section. For additional Goju-Ryu Karate katas (i.e. Saifa), please visit the main Goju-Ryu Katas page.
If you are interested in other Karate katas (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Katas & Forms page.
Section supported by Karate books
Demonstration of Sepai - Goju-Ryu Kata - Front View
Demonstration of Sepai - Goju-Ryu Kata - Side View
Demonstration of Sepai - Goju-Ryu Kata
Instructional Video for Sepai - Goju-Ryu Kata
Written Kata Instructions
- Bow from musubi dachi
- Left step back to kokutsu dachi, right hand open above head
- Lower right hand to right side of body while sinking deeper in to stance
- Step up to heiko dachi, clasp hands right over left
- Chamber to right hip, strike with left on top
- Chamber to left hip, strike with right on top
- Left step back to kokutsu dachi, pull hands in to chest, right elbow facing down, left horizontal
- Right elbow strike outwards
- Left step forward to deep kokutsu dachi, left hand open by thigh, right hand open above head
- Shift to left zenkutsu facing front, right open hand inside block
- Right front kick, set down back in to left kokutsu dachi, chamber at right hip, left middle block to left side
- Right cat stance facing rear, left hand crosses body, right hand low block over left hand
- Left hand open above head, right hand open extended downwards
- Turn to the right to face the front, left over right mid-level cross block
- Left hand open above head, right hand open extended downwards
- Turn to the left to face the left rear corner, right palm press up to chest level, left hand chamber
- Step to left zenkutsu, left middle block, left low block, left middle block
- Right step to kiba dachi at 45, both hands open at solar plexus, palms facing each other
- Right leg lift up, stomp back to kiba dachi, two strikes straight downwards
- Right leg step behind to kiba facing rear 45, left low block
- Right middle block to right rear 45
- Left step to kiba dachi at 45, both hands open at solar plexus, palms facing each other
- Left leg lift up, stomp back to kiba dachi, two strikes straight downwards
- Left leg step behind to kiba facing rear 45, right low block, slide back to cat stance
- Left leg step towards front to left kokutsu dachi, yama tsuki w/ right hand above
- Right step to left front 45, seiken tsuki
- Left cross step behind towards front, yama tsuki w/ left hand above
- Left step behind to turn 270 degrees, left zenkutsu dachi, left kagi uke
- Left middle block, left low block, left middle block, right middle block
- Right front kick, set down behind to left kokutsu, right palm block across, left bow and arrow punch
- Face right in right zenkutsu dachi
- Right middle block, right low block, right middle block, left middle block
- Left front kick, set down behind to right kokutsu, left palm block across, right bow and arrow punch
- Right foot slide around behind, right cat stance facing front
- Pull both open hands to solar plexus, palms facing each other
- Mawashi uke position w/ right high left low, push hands out, slide left foot back
- Left circle up to chest level, fist with knuckles facing out, right circles simultaneously to same position
- Open left hand at groin level, right hammerfist in to palm
- End of kata
Sepai Kata Diagram
Click on diagram for a larger picture
- Kata instructions are courtesy of Mike at MBD Martial Arts, http://www.mbdmartialarts.com/, Added - 04/14/15
- Kata diagram created by Mike at MBD Martial Arts, http://www.mbdmartialarts.com/, Added - 04/15/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
- New member Hi Everyone I am really happy to join this group and get to know you all.
- How to Condition Shins for Muay Thai I have been working on a wiki page regarding shin blocks - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/muay-thai-shin-block One element is how Muay Thai fighters must work on conditioning their shins in order to manage any pain associated with a shin block (or shin ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Kids - Books, Gift Ideas, etc.
- Parties - Martial Arts-Themed Party Items
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Strength - Hojo Undo, Makiwara, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi
- Wiki Reviews