Shaolin Kempo Karate Self Defense Techniques
Shaolin Kempo Karate uses a system where beginning students are taught a variety of prearranged self-defense combinations. The system has over 100+ combinations.
Listed below are the first 30 techniques. These combinations usually focus on defending against an attacker using a straight punch. Nevertheless, they can also be practiced for self-defense against kicks and different hand strikes. Check with your instructor for the exact scenario used at your school.
- Draw back into [L] cat stance and [L] monkey parry, step in and hook [L] arm over opponent's right arm, [R] inside tiger rake, [R] crane to jaw, [R] leg hock and [R] hand grips neck & push for take-down, [R] downward thrust punch, [R] downward knifehand strike.
- Slide [L] foot in and pivot to face left side and [R] brace block, slide [R] foot out (to [R] in horse stance) and [R] side back punch, shuffle to [R] then [R] side elbow, [R] hand sweep, [R] downward (or driving) knifehand.
- Step in with left foot and [L] inside block, [R] low thrust punch to groin, [L] hand grabs shoulder, [R] back punch to face, [R] hand grabs opposite shoulder, pull towards the rear taking opponent to the ground, [L] downward thrust punch.
- [R] step back and [R] upper block, redirect downward then [R] tiger rake across face, [R] round kick to chest (opponent falls to ground) then cross [R] leg over left, [R] axe kick to groin, jump and land over opponent's head, double immortal man to eyes, double tiger rake upward, [R] then [L] downward thrust punch, [R] stomp kick, cross cover.
- Slide [L] foot in and pivot to face left side, [R] crane block with a [L] hand guard, slide [R] foot out (to [R] in horse stance) and [R] side back punch, [R] side kick, cross cover.
- Lean slightly left (to get out of line of attack), [R] front kick, cross cover.
- Step out to [L] (into bow stance), [R] side kick, cross cover.
- [L] outside knifehand block, [R] front kick to [R] round kick, cross cover.
- [L] outside knifehand block, [R] front kick to [R] round kick, [R] shuffle side kick, cross cover.
- Step back w/ left leg and [L] upper knifehand block, [R] spearhand to groin, [L] arm wrap and [R] knifehand to neck, turn to the left and [L] step back to horse stance (taking opponent to the ground), keeping hold of arm execute 2 [R] downward knifehand strikes, jump up and pull on trapped arm (dislocating shoulder), let go upon landing and execute a final downward knifehand strike.
- Step back w/ right, draw into [L] cat stance and [L] low parry block, [L] step in and [R] trigger finger to eye, [L] hand sweep opponent's right leg and [R] elbow to hip to take opponent down, hold & lock the leg, step over w/ left leg (turning opponent onto their front, keeping hold of leg), pull up and push hips forward (breaking the leg) then drop it, turn over [R] shoulder and execute [R] stomping kick (step down into horse stance to opponent's right side), [R] then [L] downward vertical punches, [R] stomping kick then step over, turn over [L] shoulder then [L] axe kick to head.
- [L] circle block to left corner, [L] front kick at same angle (step down to bow stance), [R] turning back kick, [L] front kick to same angle.
- Use belt to block & redirect to right, [R] punch to groin, bring [R] hand up and wrap opponent's neck w/ belt, turn to [L] and pull opponent to ground, rip belt up w/ [R] arm (releasing from neck) then whip back down striking opponent.
- [L] knifehand block, [R] scissor kick.
- [R] step forward into twist stance and [R] ridgehand block, [L] step in (into horse stance) and [R] downward knifehand (redirecting opponent's arm), [R] upward ridgehand to neck, [L] turning ridgehand to back of head while stepping around w/ right leg (to horse stance, taking opponent to ground), 2 [R] tiger rakes across to inside then outside, [R] downward elbow to [R] downward hammerfist.
- Grab opponent's arm with both hands (right hand at wrist, left hand at elbow), [R] front kick then step back to [L] bow stance, pull opponent's arm down while pivoting [R] into horse stance, keeping hold of arm, step over w/ [L] leg (trapping arm between legs), quickly turn hips to left (breaking arm), turn over [R] shoulder and [R] hook kick to head (land in [L] bow stance), [R] vertical punch to temple.
- Draw back into [L] cat stance and [L] tiger trap, step in and double tiger claw ([R] claw to groin, [L] claw to face), hook [L] arm over opponent's [R] arm, [R] knifehand to neck, step back w/ left and pull opponent to ground (keeping [R] hand pushing on neck for leverage), [R] then [L] downward vertical punch, [R] downward spearhand.
- Draw back into [L] cat stance and [L] low parry block, [L] step in and [L] backhand to face, grab back of neck and pull down while stepping back w/ left leg, [R] downward elbow to spine, [R] lower hammerfist to temple.
- [L] upper knifehand block, [R] front kick (land in [L] bow stance), [L] hand grabs head and pull down, [R] downward elbow to spine, replace left hand w/ right pressing head down, hook [L] arm under opponent's right arm, pull & flip opponent over toward right (take-down), [R] knifehand chop to neck.
- Step in w/ [L] and [L] double knifehand block, [L] arm wraps opponent's right arm and [R] knifehand to neck, step back with left and take down (using [R] knifehand for extra leverage), [R] downward thrust punch, [R] downward spearhand.
- Step in w/ left and [L] upper knifehand block, step in w/ right (pivoting to horse stance) and [R] inverted longfist to armpit (keeping [L] hand in position), grab opponent's arm w/ left hand and pivot left 180° (ducking under opponent's arm), [R] hammer to elbow then to temple, [L] stomp to back of knee forcing opponent to kneel, [R] spinning hook kick to head.
- Step in w/ left, [R] then [L] upper knifehand block, [R] spearhand and cross chamber [L] hand, [L] outside knifehand strike, turn over right shoulder while executing [L] leg sweep (take-down), continue turning right then [R] stomp kick.
- Draw back into [L] cat stance and vertical trapping block (left hand on top, right hand on bottom), [L] knifehand to neck, [R] knifehand to ribs, [L] palm strike to head.
- Step in w/ [R] and downward cross block, scissor chop, double outside tiger rake, double poison thumbs to eyes.
- Draw back into [L] cat stance, [L] low palm block, step in and [R] spearhand to throat (keeping left hand in position), [L] front knifehand to neck, [R] then [L] palm strike to face.
- Step in w/ left and [L] upper knifehand block, step in w/ right (pivoting to horse stance) and [R] inverted longfist to armpit (keeping [L] hand in position), pivot 180° over left shoulder, [L] side elbow and [R] low tiger claw to groin, [L] hand sweep, [R] downward knifehand.
- [L] outside knifehand block and [R] instep kick to groin, [R] driving knifehand to face and cross chamber [L] hand, [L] outside knifehand to neck, [R] spinning knifehand strike to back of neck, [L] driving knifehand to spine.
- Step w/ right leg into [R] twist stance and [R] dragon trap, [L] spinning hook kick to solar plexus, [R] leg sweep (take-down), [L] kneel and [R] downward vertical punch to ribs.
- Step w/ right leg into [R] twist stance and [L] downward hammer to forearm then [L] backfist to face, reach over w/ right hand to grab opponent's left shoulder, twist and drive down w/ [L] knifehand to throat, drop down w/ [L] palm strike to face and [R] palm strike to groin (arms cross over each other), double outside tiger rake, pivot to [R] kneel and [L] palm strike to solar plexus then follow through up to chin.
- Step back w/ left to evade attack then drop down to [L] side, [R] laying side kick to groin, scissor take-down (right leg pulling), [R] laying axe kick, turn over to kneeling position then [L] kneeing roundhouse kick to head, turn over again then [R] axe kick, stand then cross cover.
- Information kindly provided by Sensei Kristalyn, http://senseikristalyn.blogspot.com, Added - 01/02/17
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Inspiring people I am starting to decorate my garage and I like the look tons of pics on the wall. So I am reaching out to all of you for people to put on my wall. I am looking for people that have faced diversity or over came something in the fighting arts. Looking fo...
- How to use a chair to practice high kicks Since we have been talking about Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's amazing flexibility and kicking prowess, I thought you would like to watch this Youtube video. It is a tutorial by Bill Wallace on how to use a chair to practice high kicks. Will Black Belt W...
- Black Belt Genie Let's say that one day you discover a Magic Lamp and out pops a Genie who will grant you 1 wish. The wish he'll grant you is to make you an expert in the Martial Art of your choice. You'd have all the knowledge and skill associated with this art as if ...
- Karate Kakie practice I was curious how many of my fellow karateka here practice kakie it is a series of "pushing hands" drills - which accept and flow off of an opponents incoming momentum as well as how to effectively push an opponent It is sometimes also described as ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi