Learn About Shito-Ryu Karate - Katas, Techniques, etc.
Shito-Ryu is one of the major schools or sub-styles of Karate. This Karate sub-style was formed in 1931 by Kenwa Mabuni. The name of the style "Shito-Ryu" is derived from Kenwa Mabuni Sensei's two teachers: Ankō Itosu, a famous teacher of Shuri-te karate, and Kanryō Higaonna, a prominent teacher of Naha-te karate. Shito-Ryu combines aspects of both hard and soft, internal and external martial arts, such as physical strength and powerful stances as seen in Shuri-te styles such as Shorin-ryu and Shotokan, as well as circular movements and breathing power of Naha-te styles such as Uechi-ryu and Goju-ryu.
According to Shito-Ryu International Karate Do Kai, "In Japan, Shotokan-Ryu, Wado-Ryu, Goju-Ryu and Shito-Ryu are the four main styles of Karate. Shito-Ryu is the style that preserves most of the original Shuri-te techniques, compared with other styles such as Shotokan and Wado. It also preserves original Naha-te techniques together with Goju, although each style places emphasis on different points. Technically, Shuri-te and Tomari-te have rather fast and straight movements, while Naha-te has circular and supple movements."
Shito-Ryu is famous for practicing the most katas in Karate. To learn more about these katas or watch kata videos, please visit the main Shito-Ryu Karate Katas section. You should also visit the Karate section of our community site in order to discuss Karate techniques and/or meet Karate students/instructors.
- Katas - Shito-Ryu Karate Katas
- Karate Kicks - Instructions for Karate kicks such as the Mae Geri and Mawashi Geri
- Karate Punches
- Karate Hand Strikes
- Karate Elbow Strikes
- Karate Blocks
- Karate Kihon - "Basics"
- Karate Stances
- Sparring (Kumite)
- How To Tie Your Belt In Karate
- Karate Terminology - Japanese Words, Terms & Commands for Karate
- Martial Arts Conditioning, Stretching and Strength Training
YouTube Video of Shito-Ryu Karate Techniques
- Shito-Ryu International Karate Do Kai, Shito-Ryu, http://www.seitoshitoryu.com/shitoryu.php, Added - 7/15/13
- Full Potential Martial Arts, San Diego, Shito-Ryu Karate Lineage, http://www.fullpotentialma.com/resources/about-karate/, Added - 6/29/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Welcome to all of our recent new members I want to welcome the following new members: [239660,David Byler] , [239549,Hossein] , [239548,Graeme Reay] , [239422,Nick Santa Anna] , [239394,Marcus Moore] , [239264,Paul Helton] , [239260,Simon Mackenzie] , [239205,Rock Carey Sr.] , [239198,Vicki ...
- Lee Yingarn (1of2) Old school Tai Chi. Companion to a book showing/teaching soft and hard tai chi. 😎
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi