Learn about Shorin-Ryu Karate - Katas, Techniques, etc.
Shorin-Ryu is a style of Karate developed in Okinawa Japan. This martial arts style is heavily focused on areas such as punches, katas and weapons.
Shorin is the Okinawan pronunciation of Shaolin (as in Shaolin Kung Fu). Since Okinawa is between China and Japan, many travelers went to and from these islands. Therefore, some elements of ancient Chinese martial arts were picked up and utilized by the people of Okinawa.
Matsubayashi-Ryu is a major sub-style of Shorin-Ryu. The terms, Matsubayashi-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu, are often used interchangeably. However, there are many sub-styles of Shorin-Ryu so please check with your instructor as katas and techniques may vary by school.
You should also visit the Karate section of our community site in order to discuss Karate techniques and/or meet Karate students/instructors.
Demonstration Video for Shorin-Ryu Karate
- World Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu) Karate-Do Association, Home Page, http://www.matsubayashi-ryu.com/, Added - 10/20/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Is realistic self-defense training a contradiction in itself? There are countless providers that claim to offer realistic self-defense training. Routinely implied in in such claims is that other, more traditional schools/dojos/styles fail to address this. However, I am wondering if realistic self-defense training...
- Moderation I am sorry that (for the first time) I felt the need to get all moderatory :) Unlike (a certain member) I do not feel the need to continually brag or boast (or lie) about my rank or experience, rather I would hope that my words on this community and my...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi