Learn Shorin-Ryu Kata Fukyugata 2 (or Fukyugata Ni)
This section looks at Shorin-Ryu Karate Kata Fukyugata 2 (or Fukyugata Ni). This section provides video and step-by-step written instructions in order to help you to master this Karate kata.
For more Shorin-Ryu katas, visit the main Shorin-Ryu Katas section.
If you are looking for the katas of other Karate styles (i.e. Shotokan or Wado-Ryu), visit the main Katas & Forms section.
Written Instructions for Shorin-Ryu Kata - Fukyugata 2
0. Kamai (chokuritsu-fudo-dachi: formal attention stance) - Hands raise directly from sides to solar plexus, palms flat to chest, left hand on top, press hands down to belt level, facing body.
1. 90-degree turn left (face 9:00) to left walking stance, left upper technique. Right foot steps forward at 45-degree angle out, right high-low defend. Pivot left to left walking stance, snap hips to square and perform left upper technique.
2. Step forward to right walking stance, right high punch. Step forward to right walking stance, snap hips to square and perform right high punch.
3. 90-degree turn right (face 12:00) shuffle back to jigotai stance, left lower sideward technique. Right foot steps back to jigotai stance (double shoulder width), left high-low defend, left hand strikes down left to left lower sideward technique as right hand chambers against side at chest level. Left hand should be straight down from shoulder, aligned with body (slightly behind thigh), fist should be one fist width above leg, palm facing leg.
4. 90-degree turn to right walking stance (face 3:00), right upper technique. Slide left foot toward 1:30 to right walking stance, left high-low defend. Snap hips to square, execute left upper technique, chamber right fist against side at chest level.
5. Step to left walking stance, left high punch. See details for 2.
6. 90-degree turn left (face 12:00) shuffle back to jigotai stance, right lower technique. See details for 3. In this move, lose one foot-length distance during the shuffle back.
7. Step to left walking stance, left middle technique. Weight shifts to right foot, left foot steps forward to left walking stance, right high-low defend. Left middle technique.
8. Step to right walking stance, right middle technique. See details for 7.
10. Left front kick (KIAI) to left long stance, elbow strike. Left front abdomen kick, retract and place foot in left long stance. Left upward elbow smash, body at 45-degree angle right (extended into elbow smash). Left fist should clear face, upper arm should be parallel to floor.
11. (a) Jigotai stance, left lower technique. Right foot pivots on ball to bring right heel inward to form 45-degree angle (facing 4:30), right high-low defend. Left foot and leg do not move. Execute left sideward lower technique. (b) Left long stance, right middle punch. Snap right foot and hip back to left long stance and execute right middle punch.
12. Turn 90-degrees right to open-leg natural stance, perform right chest knife-hand strike. Arms across chest, both parallel to the ground, palms down, right arm on top as right leg steps up to open-leg natural stance (face 3:00). Feet should be shoulder width apart and pointing out at 45-degree angles. Right arm snaps out to perform right chest knife-hand strike as left fist chambers against side at chest level.
13. Step to left long stance (face 6:00), left middle technique. Left foot steps past right toward 6:00, execute right high-low defend, hips face 7:30. Hips snap back to square, left middle technique.
14. Right front kick to right long stance, elbow strike. See details for 10. No KIAI.
15. Right lower technique, left middle punch. See details for 11.
16. Turn 90-degrees left to open-leg natural stance, perform left chest knife-hand strike. See details for 12.
17. Step back to right long stance (face 12:00), right circular block and punch. Left foot steps toward 6:00 to right long stance, left high-low defend. Left foot steps back to right long stance, right middle technique. Pull fists back to chamber at hips, left double fisted attack to solar plexus and stomach. Fists face each other. Right fist is directly over right leg. Fists are one fist width apart vertically and horizontally.
18. Step forward to crouching position, left circular block and punch. Left foot steps forward to meet right foot, keep knees bent, right high-low defend. See details for 17.
19. Kamai - Hands move directly to solar plexus as right foot steps forward to initial kamai position, palms flat to chest, left hand on top, press hands down to belt level.
- Written Kata Instructions courtesy of Jen White Doom, WSU Karate, Added - 11/19/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
- Tattered, worn, white, blackbelt This video has an example of what I actually want to talk about. I have seen this before. I have seen this a lot... online. What is the deal with these tattered old blackbelts? If you don't know what I mean, skip to 10:57 to get a good look at Jess...
- Top 10 As a follow up to another question. You get 10 techniques to learn for the rset of your life. Stand up, ground throws etc. The jab cross and foot movement are already mastered. As well as the rnc, shrimping and hip ups. What would you choose
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics